• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

We've seen a lot of changes. In March, 4 moderators left to start their own site. They took some of you with them. So now you have split loyalties. You know who you are. They didn't like my way of managing this place, and thought they could do better without me. They didn't. The only thing holding them together is that they hate me. Their site was down until mid July. That is why I wanted to stay involved on here until they could learn to run this place. But they wanted me to leave right away, without the training part.

Anyway, I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I don't want to know about this place.

What about the 4 moderators who were disloyal? I don't care. It isn't my call anymore. I would think that, rather than fumble, they ought to come back and do good work. That's up to them. If they want to return to try to lead more members to their site, I am done caring. I suffered too much aggravation worrying about it. I don't plan to spend any more. What they do impacts on them. I have my own opinions including those of you who followed them there. No longer my problem.

I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Spring Joint Caliper Replacement Spring

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

HolyHarp

Swarf
Registered
The spring broke on a pair of calipers. I'm considering just tossing them but I do like to repair things if possible. How could I find or make a spring for them?

HolyHarp

Swarf
Registered
Here's a photo of the calipers with the broken spring. I'm thinking of trying to make a replacement from bamboo.
2018-08-09 11.21.07.jpg

francist

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Well that will be interesting!

Many years ago I undertook the building of a violin from scratch. In order to accomplish the fairly tight curves in the ribs, the maple sides (about 0.50" thick maybe) are bent over a hot iron. You do this freehand, not over a form of any kind. It's actually pretty surprising how tight a radius can be accomplished with just localized heating of the wood and rocking it back and forth over the iron. Wonder if bamboo might respond similarly?

For what it's worth, my "iron" consisted of a short length of schedule 40 black iron pipe which I held in a vise and played a propane torch through the end. Worked great!

-frank

GrayTech

Registered
Registered
Recently did exactly such a repair. I cut a 1/4 section off a 1" spring steel split collar I picked up on the road. Worked perfectly. I could mail you a 1/4 section to use if you like.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
In trying to avoid the this type of failure and to prevent the spring from losing its spring rate I store my calipers so the spring is not tensioned.

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
Don’t soak in vinegar to clean rust off with the hoop on. I bought three nice German made ones and went to clean them in vinegar. Came back about ten min later and the hoops were all in pieces :oops: :(. Haven’t figured a way to fix yet so I’m all ears.

BtoVin83

Registered
Registered
I have a small divider with the same problem. Mine are Mititoyo and I'm gonna see if they have parts or will fix them. I know they have a repair shop.

HolyHarp

Swarf
Registered
Recently did exactly such a repair. I cut a 1/4 section off a 1" spring steel split collar I picked up on the road. Worked perfectly. I could mail you a 1/4 section to use if you like.
Thanks for the offer. Let me keep that as a plan B for now. Please post a photo of your handiwork; I think it would be useful to others. I live in a small village in Thailand where there is quite a bit of bamboo but few spring steel split collars.

GrayTech

Registered
Registered
Here's the collar I cut. It's an old starrett caliper that was pretty rusted when I found it.
With a bit of fiddling the hose clamp pictured in a previous post would absolutely work. They are commonly used on hoses in car engines.

Tony Wells

Former Vice President - Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Administrator
GrayTech, you should turn up the pivot for those calipers if it is lost, which often happens when there are issues with the bowspring.

Or is that a pin of sorts I see already there?

Just an aside, I have a pair of smallish OD calipers that are one piece. German made IIRC. It appears they simply forged the frame to be thin where the spring goes and omitted a pivot. If they ever break, there will be no easy repair.

GrayTech

Registered
Registered
GrayTech, you should turn up the pivot for those calipers if it is lost, which often happens when there are issues with the bowspring.

Or is that a pin of sorts I see already there?

Just an aside, I have a pair of smallish OD calipers that are one piece. German made IIRC. It appears they simply forged the frame to be thin where the spring goes and omitted a pivot. If they ever break, there will be no easy repair.
Hi Tony, I made the pivot pin that's in there too. I'm always picking up small pieces of useful stuff, or scavenging off tossed appliances etc. I have boxes full. Larger pieces of stock other than 1018 and 6065 is what I struggle to find. It's difficult to find and very pricey when I do find some. Wish I knew where to get drops at a decent price.

The calipers work as intended and should hold up well. I don't store them with the spring under too much tension.

[6]
[5] [7]