Spun tailstock chuck arbor

redvan22

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I recently had a drill bit jam in brass and the tailstock chuck arbor spun in the tailstock spindle (quill). When I stopped and reviewed everything for damage, I saw a groove in the Morse taper of the tailstock spindle(quill) and a deep scratch on the chuck arbor.

Is this damage repairable or are replacement parts required?

I cannot get the chuck arbor to lock in the spindle since.

Mike.

I had that happen to my drill arbor. I was able to stone the damage that was proud off the arbor but only was I was able to get the damage down on the quill was buy a MT reamer. Once again I just went after the stuff that stood proud. Once I got the damage down they all worked fine. The other thing I did was to head off future probs by always keeping an arbor in the quill instead leaving it empty. This kept chips and dust out of there as I wasn’t always wiping out the quill before use. And it’s a tough area to get clean anyway. Now a quick wipe check of the arbor before change is all I have to do and have had no further probs.

A morse taper reamer will help with the socket. Stoning may help the male taper
That's a great idea but I have a mini mill and the depth of the quill is barely 2". Most reamers I've searched for are much longer and I believe will not work for me. Don't have any experience with this type of reamer so I'm not sure about the diameter vs the length. If the tip would fit and do the job, that would be great but if it would need to go in deeper, that would be an issue. LMS has the quill and chuck arbor for about $30 + s/h. I think I'm going to go that way. Didn't think to use a stone on the arbor and used emery so I think it's time to replace it.

In the beginning of the discussion, I thought we were talking about a lathe ("tailstock") now it sounds like a mill ????
A friend of mine says nomenclature is everything. I was taught that a quill is part of a vertical mill that holds your tooling. My friend says the spindle/shaft of the tailstock is also a quill because it moves. I disagree hence the way I wrote my post "spindle(quill)" to avoid those who call it one vs others that call it the other. At LMS, they call it a quill. I guess it could also be called a shaft.

A friend of mine says nomenclature is everything. I was taught that a quill is part of a vertical mill that holds your tooling. My friend says the spindle/shaft of the tailstock is also a quill because it moves. I disagree hence the way I wrote my post "spindle(quill)" to avoid those who call it one vs others that call it the other. At LMS, they call it a quill. I guess it could also be called a shaft.
It's called a quill when there's a rotating spindle in it. It's called a ram when there is no spindle. For the tailstock, it's a ram.

Sounds like you are thinking to ream the tailstock ram in your mill & Z capacity is what you are worried about? You don't need to ream it in the mill or even run the reamer under power. Can ream it without taking it out of the tailstock. Ream by hand & with a center in the headstock or chuck. You only want to remove as least amount of material as possible.

For the cost & availability, I would just replace it too.

It's called a quill when there's a rotating spindle in it. It's called a ram when there is no spindle. For the tailstock, it's a ram.

Sounds like you are thinking to ream the tailstock ram in your mill & Z capacity is what you are worried about? You don't need to ream it in the mill or even run the reamer under power. Can ream it without taking it out of the tailstock. Ream by hand & with a center in the headstock or chuck. You only want to remove as least amount of material as possible.

For the cost & availability, I would just replace it too.
Perfect, that's two votes for replacement.
'Tailstock ram' - much more precise part name.
Yes, I am concerned about the "Z" capacity because it's barely 2". If a reamer would need to go in deeper than that to repair the damaged section, it wouldn't be able to. I would need a short reamer or stubby.

BTW, I was taught to always seat a drill chuck in the tailstock with a mallet (soft face or non marring) especially on smaller hobby lathes that don't have tang slot in the TS ram. I've never spun the taper in my TS. I have spun a chuck off the Jacobs taper though.

Back