Starrett 454 Height Gauge--how Does It Work?

birdus

Registered
Registered
Just got a Starrett 454 vernier height gauge and can't figure it out. I measured the width of a pistol slide with my digital calipers and it measures .910". However, I used the height gauge and can't see how in the world I would get .910 from it. Please see photos and edumacate me!

Thanks,
Jay

It's telling me I need three posts before I can add links to my posts, so no photos yet.

I read that at 1.625 as close as I can read it. You need a scribe with a dogleg in it to be able to set zero at surface height. You could set ''zero'' with a 1 inch gauge block, then do a little math to get the correct reading.

EDIT: I think a 1 inch offset is what you need, but confirm that.

Last edited:
I don't own one nor have I ever used one, but I'm pretty sure you've got the scribe point upside down in the holder.

In other words, the reference plane is between the fixed leg and movable scribe. If you remove the movable scribe altogether, then the bottom of the fixed piece should be precisely 1" off the surface plate when the 0 mark on the vernier is on 1" — you can verify with a 1-2-3 block.

The with of the removable scribe is probably around 0.300" which is why the numbers are weird.

Regards,
--
Rex

Rex, the scribe is normally used in the position shown. But you are correct about the relationship. I do believe there is a 1 inch offset. Starrett does make an offset scribe part# 454TD, which will allow the zero to be at the base surface.

Rex, the scribe is normally used in the position shown.

I suppose I could be wrong (it's been known to happen ;-) but I noticed that the Starrett website shows all the (non-dogleg) scribes on their vernier height gauges mounted upside down relative to the photo that Jay posted.

I'm pretty sure that the bottom of the non-removable part is the reference surface:

starrett-height-gauge.png

I agree that you need a dogleg (where the scribe bevel is on top) to measure down to 0", but I think that a straight scribe on that particular height gauge needs to be flipped in order to measure accurately.
--
Rex

I have a Starrett 12" 255 and it uses the bottom of the scribe holder as a reference, exactly as Rex explains.

............but I noticed that the Starrett website shows all the (non-dogleg) scribes on their vernier height gauges mounted upside down relative to the photo that Jay posted.

That's interesting, I also looked at the Starrett site and you are correct about how they show the orientation. I have never used or have ever seen a height gauge used with the scribe in that position. That position might be useful for measuring an overhanging lip or something. I think it would be difficult to figure out where the edge is at relative to the base surface in that position.

Back