Static Phase Converters On Ebay

Agree with Jim Dawson, 120V at this Hp level is easier to move around if needed and/or you are limited on 240V availability/sockets. You will also get more linear torque with a VFD, and full Hp at 60Hz. A few cautions; on older motors, insulation breakdown can be an issue, not common but it does happen. The other concern would be metallic/conductive dust getting into the VFD, so probably need to mount in a NEMA 4X metal box The metal box would help dissipate some of the heat if the VFD is attached to it.

The new TecoL 510-101-H1 is also worth looking at http://dealerselectric.com/L510-101-H1-N.asp

I have a VFD hooked up on my SG. The things I like about it is, it allows the grinding wheel to come up to RPM gradually in about 2 to 3 seconds, not instantaneously. Also, if dressing a new wheel that is slightly out of balance from the wheel not running true, you can slow the spindle down a bit to allow you to dress it true. Last, I have the maximum speed set at 3000 RPM on mine for the 8" wheels I use, so I don't over speed them and blow one up.

I'm pretty much equidistant from 110 and 220 receptacles. So I'll toss a coin!

Given that it is an old 220V motor, you might want to set the maximum VFD output voltage to 220, there is a parameter for that. Typical incoming voltage on our NW power grid is 240-245 V. That might help with the possible old motor insulation issues. It is unlikely that there would be a problem, but anything you can do to minimize the possibility is a good thing.

Jim,
I can guarantee that as soon as I get it, I will be here with questions for you!

1750 RPM, 1/2 hp, 3 phase, 9 lead. Currently it's wired for 440 -

Hi so with this it will probably need to be wired to 220 3ph and you will need a 220v line to use it - the static converter is cheaper and easier to hook up but has issues as stated by others and i would never do it that way when you can set it up with a VFD with variable speed control - you would gut the 440 stuff and drive the motor directly from the VFD. you can feed the VFD 220 single phase and it will generate 220 3 phase, it will take a little more work but will be a much better setup. look at a delta vfd drive they work good and are not extremely expensive - i saw this one on ebay as an example.

I cant post links yet but if you search on ebay

Details about Delta VFD015EL23A Motor Driver Inverter 1.5kw, 200-240V, 3ph
Looks to be 100 plus 11 to ship - it would be a good fit for you requirements,

for an even better unit i would look at Motortronics
like this one but this is for 1/2 HP -
MOTORTRONICS-CSD-2P5-N-AC-INVERTER-220V-0-4KW-XLNT

some time you can find them in 1 , 2 , 3 hp also -

i use both the delta for a mill and Motortronics on a lathe and they work great better than a
SPC and also a rotary phase converter because of the variable speed and quick power breaking.

Good luck
Mitch

Last edited:
Thanks, Mitch. I've already ordered the 220 version of the one Jim mentioned up above.

Your welcome - looks like a good unit - i did notice that it does not have any provision for breaking resistor but probably not needed for your application. Please post how it works out. looks like it has similar programming as the delta units use.

Mitch

The motor is a 1750 RPM, 1/2 hp, 3 phase, 9 lead. Currently it's wired for 440. I have 220 single-phase available, and I am running a VFD on my mill, and a static on the lathe.

The grinder also has a 440 mag starter that would need replacing. But if I go with a VFD, I wouldn't need that, right? I would want to wire up a switch.

It just seems that a VFD is overkill on such a small machine, where I don't need variable speed. And costwise, it is higher, although not enough to really drive my decision. I was looking more for convenience, since (if the grinder winds up where I think it will) it probably won't be hardwired. I was thinking that I could mount both the convertor and the starter on the base, and just use an extension cord to plug into the 220 receptacle.
the static phase converter will run your motor,but i agree with your
Does anyone have experience with this US made converter?

Any reason why it wouldn't work on a Rockwell surface grinder?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-1-3-Hp-S...703425?hash=item419214af81:g:Pu8AAOSwmUdUYTx9
these static converters will run 3phase motors at about 2/3 rated power witch should not pose a problem with a surface grinder. the problem you may run into is vibration. running a 3 phase motor on a static converter will cause one phase to run out of phase. its like one cylinder in your car to being out of time. the only way to know if will cause a problem is to try it or hear from someone who has. vfd's are the hot setup now and the price has come way down over the years. check ebay. i have built and run static converters, but i now use a rotary phase converter to power all my 3phase equipment. if i were starting over i would go with vfd's

It came today. I'm a little concerned about the configuration. It has the line in on top of the unit, and line out, below. Or possibly the other way around. Bu in any case, it seems to me that having wiring going into screw/squeeze terminal blocks on top is asking for stuff to fall into them. My Hitachi has both input and output on the bottom.

Am I overthinking this? I'm also wondering about a mounting location.

Back