• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

Steady Rest & Follow Rest

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Yorkus

Iron
Registered Member
I have a 6" Follow Rest and 12" Steady Rest that I am looking to sell.
I'm not a big fan of eBay & Paypal. I guess I don't qualify to sell items on this site.
Where is the best place to sell items & what are they worth?

Thanks, for the input.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Yorkus,

Over the years, we've tried numerous ways to allow buying and selling on this site with most being either too much trouble or unenforceable. The current rules (Premium members and above can sell, all can buy) seem to work the best with the least trouble for the site. So for $25 per year, you can sell any metal working related items. Beyond that, your best bet is eBay. TANSTAAFL.

A quick check of completed listings on eBay says that either item may sell for anywhere between $100 and $200, with most going for $150 or a little less.

34_40

Dazed and Confused
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
"Beyond that, your best bet is eBay. TANSTAAFL."

Robert. TANSTAAFL???? What is this please?

34_40

Dazed and Confused
HAH! Imagine my embarrassment when I realized you answered the question and I thought you hadn't! LOL..

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
First popularized by SF author Robert A. Heinlein in one of his novels back in the 1940's. Usually written out as:

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. The current best bad example of the proof of it is eBay and their "Free Shipping".

The Liberal Arts Garage

Active User
Takes me back to the mid-fifties " The Moon is a Harsh Mistress?" all too easy
to flip me back to when I knew something ...... BLJHB.

HolyHarp

Iron
Registered Member
That's a nice looking steady rest for a 6" Atlas. Did you fabricate it? Do we have plans for one for a 12" Atlas? I think I'd like it with a square head bolt with a spring and a captive 12-point wrench for quick release of the way clamp. What are the cam followers made from? Thanks for sharing.

tr7sprint1

I have the detaileddrawing, but it's not legal to post here. I don't have rights to the drawing.
I will find the magazine link and post soon. I'm sure the model/drawing can be adapted to a 12" lathe.

The cam followers are from McMaster Carr. Too bad your not in the states (I have several dozens good used ones).

tr7sprint1

I have the detaileddrawing, but it's not legal to post here. I don't have rights to the drawing.
I will find the magazine link and post soon. I'm sure the model/drawing can be adapted to a 12" lathe.

The cam followers are from McMaster Carr. Too bad your not in the states (I have several dozens good used ones).

I finally found the link, first it was 1978 popular mechanics instead of 1954 popular science magazine (see link below for dimensioned drawing).

https://books.google.com/books?id=o...ady for special job popular mechanics&f=false

jrkorman

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Nice article, looks like it would be worth taking a swing at. Thanks for sharing!

[6]
[5] [7]