Steel for cross slide feed screw

Msc has 7/16-8 acme rod.
What are you using it for?

I'm looking at options to try the technique sdelivery suggested, but cannot find 7/16ths acme rod. Would 3/8s be enough or should I try to go up to 1/2. Or stick with the original design?

Last edited:
Might try this place, too.

I have only cut threads a hand full of times unfortunately I do not have a follow rest
This is not an easy job, even for the equipped and experienced. Given that this should also be a precision thread, I would be inclined to buy one if it can be found.

If you decide to change the size, I would definitely go larger, assuming there is room. You will also have to make or buy the nut to fit.
Making a small Acme nut is even more challenging than the shaft. And remember, this will be a left hand thread. How many thousandths in one rotation of the dial? The screw/nut pitch will have to match the dial unless you want to make a new one of those too. It starts getting deep.....

Just how bad is the existing screw? A close up picture of the thread would tell a lot.

Just how bad is the existing screw? A close up picture of the thread would tell a lot
I don't have a picture right now. I have about 2thou of play, The main issue is the thread. This is a very old lathe, and originally it was square thread and an odd size and tpi as well so I am going to make a new one of standard size and pitch using acme threads

This is not an easy job, even for the equipped and experienced
I understand this is a difficult job but I'm trying to learn and I would like to attempt to make part from start to finish. More so as a personal challenge if nothing else

Back