Storing reamers, what to do?

Razzle

Jack of All, Master of None
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I won an ebay bid for a lot of 36 reamers of assorted sizes. Now I have to add them to my existing pile and figured out how to store them. Some are really small. What have you all done?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I have used various sized plastic test tubes as protective caps , stored in plastic containers

I've got a few assembled 'sets' of reamers.

For storage, I cut off a piece of 2x4 and drilled holes to match the reamer shank diameter.

Just stick'em in there and it keeps them from bumping around. Use some sharpie to mark the sizes on the wood block, and you're good to go.

EDIT: I've also got a full set of number-size reamers that came in a regular Huot drill index. They're shorter than standard reamers, so they fit perfectly in a standard drill index. Maybe they're "stub length reamers" if such a thing exists? Anyway, Huot makes reamer indexes if you want to go that route.

All good suggestions. I am both space and financially challenged. So a huot box is not on the table. I will look into both the wood block and plastic tube options. Some of the reamers are 'stub' and some are really tiny. great for model work but I need to measure them to figure out the size. I have my existing reamers in a drawer just bouncing around but it is too small for the new additions.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Square or round plastic tubes work. McMaster has them under "shipping". I'm sure other places have them as well. Advantage of the tubes is you can label them and you can toss them in the drawer without banging them up. Or you can be organized. Disadvantage is they will take up a little more space. I prefer the square tubes, so they don't roll away! If you have shelf or horizontal space, a board with holes works great as well.

I'm bad.... I have drawers full of various size reamers (in Kennedy tool box drawers) and most are not protected at all. My end mills and other cutters are stored the same way. I just treat them with care, not banging them around into each other, and I've never had an issue. Most of the cutting tools I've picked up have come that way in a box anyways and they always seem to cut fine for my use.

Ted

I keep mine in one of those see through fishing flat boxes with adjustable dividers. As best I can, I keep them in there tubes if I have them, or segregated by size if I dont. Flambeau makes these units with an anti rust impregnated plastic that supposedly keeps fish hooks from rusting. I have been using these now in central TX for 3 years and dont have any rust on any of these tools or anything else I store in them (reamers, taps, dies, end mills, albrecht drill chucks etc). Not ready to endorse the anti rust as of yet, might be a gimmick, but so far so good.

Back