Storing reamers, what to do?

I have recently started wrapping old reamers and end mills with plastic expandable mesh. I only cut enough length to cover the cutting surfaces, that way I can still read sizes on shanks!

View attachment 375199

So far so good, I've been pleased with the results. Cost is very minimal, and I can stack reamers/end mills in drawers together without damage. Also the plastic mesh gives you an opportunity to identify types of reamers and cutters without unwrapping each one every time you go searching!
Where do you buy that stuff? Seems like a very cost effective solution.

Last edited:
I found a supplier on Ebay that sold smaller quantities for trying out at first.

I also see that McMaster Carr sells a few different types for very reasonable prices.

The web /mesh/something is also used for automotive restorations, for wiring looms. Not the exact same product, but reasonable cost for long lengths. Cut off what you need and stash the rest. My biggest problem is where did I stash something the last time I bought it. I remember buying it, but where did I put it?

I have recently started wrapping old reamers and end mills with plastic expandable mesh. I only cut enough length to cover the cutting surfaces, that way I can still read sizes on shanks!

So far so good, I've been pleased with the results. Cost is very minimal, and I can stack reamers/end mills in drawers together without damage. Also the plastic mesh gives you an opportunity to identify types of reamers and cutters without unwrapping each one every time you go searching!
This is what I was going to suggest. We used to use it to protect shafts (and keep the keys in the keyseat) for delivery. I see now they make it with corrosion inhibitor.

For smaller reamer sizes something like this could provide protection for the cutting flutes while leaving the shank bare to make it readable.
Of course they should not be 'shrunk' over the reamer :) so that they are reusable.

Go big or go home!

Attachments

• 16289397545026763899998390259805.jpg
    16289397545026763899998390259805.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 16289397750416421175795936139060.jpg
    16289397750416421175795936139060.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
What, is this frowned on? (Child’s arm added for scale)1D372D50-B5CC-45A3-85BB-B16019DCA096.jpeg
Just kidding, that’s how a $20 auction lot came to me. Still need to figure out a long term storage solution. And a lot of those will give me practice on the tool and cutter grinder sharpening them.

Durn! Them thar reamers are purdy durn long, ain't they? Wonder what they were originally intended for?????

Durn! Them thar reamers are purdy durn long, ain't they? Wonder what they were originally intended for?????
I don’t know. They all have a piece welded onto the ends to lengthen them. I think I will be cutting them all off back to original length to help facilitate storage.

Back