Storms in Hawaii..

We have had shoreline erosion next to a section of our highway close to me, with ironwood trees being undermined, they would probably have fallen into the ocean too. The county contracted a tree trimming company to cut them down, and all day today they were going at it. By this afternoon with a bucket truck 20-30' in the air and a chainsaw they were cutting the trees down, lightning, and thunder going on close by. True Portagee gung ho work getting done. There is a nationality that gets fun poked at them on the mainland that starts with a P too. Where is OSHA when you need em....

As long as there is no link to a power grid would be my thinking. :)

Just checked NOAA - we're both sitting in the red zone. Hunker down and stay safe, Mike.

Mikey I sincerely hope you ( and Aukai) go through this one unscathed.

Thank you to all of you for your kind thoughts and concerns. In my little valley we have had no flooding and I thank God for that but others on Oahu are not so fortunate. As always, though, the people of Hawaii will come together and help.

Kauai is a rain and storm magnet and I am concerned about Aukai.

Good morning, thanks Mikey, and everybody for the thoughts, I got called into work at the airport. The North Shore landslide will impact my daughter with road closures, but we are safe. I do not have the latest damage reports, but the sun was shining this morning while it was still raining. We are in an unstable air mass now, old cold fronts coming back with high pressure areas steering them, and a close low pressure area pulling heavy moisture up from the south, which makes for a bunch of banging, and clanging in the sky.

update: the landslide that closed one lane, and was controlled by sign holders directing traffic, well they had to run for their lives the whole hill side came down. Hanalei town, and the rest of the North Shore has been cut off.

Last edited:
Flooding is not a good thing, but at least you don't have to shovel it like snow

We have had shoreline erosion next to a section of our highway close to me, with ironwood trees being undermined, they would probably have fallen into the ocean too. The county contracted a tree trimming company to cut them down, and all day today they were going at it. By this afternoon with a bucket truck 20-30' in the air and a chainsaw they were cutting the trees down, lightning, and thunder going on close by. True Portagee gung ho work getting done. There is a nationality that gets fun poked at them on the mainland that starts with a P too. Where is OSHA when you need em....
Ironwood?!!! Oh the woodworker in me is saying 'Grab it' - 'Grab it'. (shipping would be a killer. :cool: )

Back