Strange air Compressor problem

murraym

Registered
Registered
I have a 60 Gallon Farm hand compressor that is about 20 years old. These compressors were manufactured by Campbell Hausfeld.
It has been in service, problem free for its whole life. a couple days ago, I moved it from my garage to the barn, wired it up and away she goes.
The problem is that the pressure switch doesn't shut it off!!! The switch isn't really meant to be serviced and in the interest of safety, I think I'll just replace it.
I am able to activate the little lever and make it shut off but the pressure from the tank just won't do it. Anyone ever see something like this or have any ideas on something I have overlooked?
This one has me baffled...

I have a 60 Gallon Farm hand compressor that is about 20 years old. These compressors were manufactured by Campbell Hausfeld.
It has been in service, problem free for its whole life. a couple days ago, I moved it from my garage to the barn, wired it up and away she goes.
The problem is that the pressure switch doesn't shut it off!!! The switch isn't really meant to be serviced and in the interest of safety, I think I'll just replace it.
I am able to activate the little lever and make it shut off but the pressure from the tank just won't do it. Anyone ever see something like this or have any ideas on something I have overlooked?
This one has me baffled...
Replace the pressure switch and the relief valve. I dropped the pressure down on mine to be safe with the old tank I was using.

If you have a local compressor supply house they will be able to help you but if not it’s easy enough to order one.

John

Replace the pressure switch and the relief valve. I dropped the pressure down on mine to be safe with the old tank I was using.

If you have a local compressor supply house they will be able to help you but if not it’s easy enough to order one.

John
I have looked and am able to order a direct replacement for the pressure switch.
Just out of curiosity, why do you recommend the relief valve change? I will admit that when the pressure reached 150# I was surprised that it had not popped. It does work manually and resets itself as well around 70#'s.

Points in switch sometimes stick. Hit it sharply with a screwdriver, hammer when pressure is up enough to be off normally. May break loose. If it can be dis-assembled might check for stuck points.

Yes, might be repairable. But for me it’s a
safety thing with compressors, especially if they are inside the shop.

John

I would look first at the electrical contacts and see if they might have welded themselves together.
Sometimes a light going over with a small file will alleviate the problem. I would give some consideration
that the old control may be a better product than a new one so I would not be too quick to replace it.
If you do have to replace it, get a quality one.

Back