Strange air Compressor problem

Did you lay it on its side during the move? If oil was allowed to flow into your valve plate it's going to need to be removed and cleaned (degreased) before you'll ever get back to pressure. You'll need to replace the gaskets (2x) if you remove the valve plate.

GsT

I replaced my little pressure fitting. It was a little thing that pushed out a tiny rod when it reached pressure to shut it off.
solved the problem.

I think the reason that someone said to replace the safety valve is because you never said it fired off. But some of the old ones can't build up enough pressure to overcome the safety rating due to wear.

150lbs?

I don’t know what the one he has is rated for but I de-rate compressors with old tanks.

I had an 80gal 2 stage in my old shop that had a failed cutoff valve. When I replaced it I talked with the guys at my local compressor service company and they agreed that dropping the cutoff from 140 to 120 was a good safety measure.

The OP can do whatever he wants, but for me I’d rather be safe. Also I don’t have anything that needs that high of pressure and I had plenty of volume.

FWIW there are three rotary screw compressors I’m responsible for at work. We do have a service company, but I still need to make sure we have consistent and reliable air for the factory.

John

Safe is a good practice, but keep in mind the amount of stored energy is ridiculous even at lower-ish pressures. A couple years ago, a friend's kid had gotten a 60 gallon horizontal from a local auction, and found an appropriate sized compressor head for it. It was working fine for a couple years...until it didn't. I'm not sure what the whole setup weighed on that (probably 500ish pounds), but when the tank failed it attempted to go into low earth orbit. The bottom is where it let go, the entire tank blew out at about 120 lbs, and the complete compressor shot up high enough to break 2 2x12 rafters. Fortunately no one was standing by it at the time. Somewhere I have pictures of the aftermath.

There's a sensor tube that carries the pressure to the switch. If it gets plugged it won't allow the pressure to trip the switch.

Safe is a good practice, but keep in mind the amount of stored energy is ridiculous even at lower-ish pressures.

There are some videos of similar failures. If in doubt, do a hydrostatic test. It's fairly easy and safe if you follow procedures. SCUBA hydro testing is more involved but that's much higher pressure. For those tanks, you monitor the tank to see if it bulges under pressure.

Reactions: K30
I purchased my 80g 2 stage Campbell Hausfeld compressor used. The piece of junk pressure switch was the flimsiest thing I had ever scene. One of the contacts would slip and the motor wouldn't run. I replaced it with a Square D pressure switch and it has been perfect ever since.

Mike has a good point. Instead of a direct replacement, a Square D switch will last perhaps a lifetime. I had one here that came off a water pump we had on the farm in the 70's. I put it on a compressor and ran it another 20 years or so. It finally gave out when I put it over on a 2nd compressor. I now have a 20 yr old one on that compressor. I think the one I had was rated 3 hp, so I had to put a motor starter on for a 10 hp motor. Easy to change out. Not sure if they offer one with an integral power switch.

I like the story of the compressor flying down the street and through a neighbors roof! Can you imagine???

There are some videos of similar failures. If in doubt, do a hydrostatic test. It's fairly easy and safe if you follow procedures. SCUBA hydro testing is more involved but that's much higher pressure. For those tanks, you monitor the tank to see if it bulges under pressure.

Technically, when they certify the compressor receivers they're supposed to do it the same way, by submerging them then pressing them up. I don't think a lot of places have that equipment.
When we fill our SCBA tanks at work, they go in a steel tube while they're being pressed up. Seems prudent.

Back