Stuck Knee On Jhead!!

Make a drill bushing/guide kinda thing that will go into that 2” space and guide your extra long drill bit. Then thread it. Then connect the gib to the slide hammer with a good grade set screw.

Last edited:
Pull the turret, head, table and saddle, turn the column upside down, apply upward force (ratchet strap) on the knee as you tap smartly on the side where the gib is.

Pull the turret, head, table and saddle, turn the column upside down, apply upward force (ratchet strap) on the knee as you tap smartly on the side where the gib is.
tried very similar action already. using a lift truck. no dice.

here is the little bugger sticking out of the bottom of the knee. will be messing with it tomorrow and will have success!

IMG_0737.JPG

Depending on how much wear that gib has, you're lucky the gib didn't shear the side of the dovetail clean off from sideways force, scrapping the knee or creating a huge repair job.

Get a U shaped crowbar and use it as a lever to pry the gib up? Use a wood block inside the oil tray of the base to pry against.

One like this: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...wbar-1-.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140707191338
Yea i tried a 2" square spud bar on a block with a lot of weight on it.
I thinkin of drilling a 1" dia hole under the gib and pound it up tomorrow. Im praying that the dove tail is not trashed!! I know i will have to scrape all the ways on the knee and the base once its off. just hopping im not going to have to braze a bunch of it back together.

I don't really know if this would help but maybe a hydraulic jack pushing up would do it???
Also tried a 3 ton handi man jack under the knee while prying up on the gib at the same time. and it didnt move!

Is there a way to put a pair of wedges under it and drive them together? develop a lot of pressure that way.

Is there a way to put a pair of wedges under it and drive them together? develop a lot of pressure that way.
Thought of that... problem is the column is not square under the gib its radiused angle from vertical to horizontal right there.

Back