Suggestions on less than full size mill

Quick googling shows the 8520 is 750 lbs. Looks like we have 2 members in Maine here(@CluelessNewB and @ConValSam ), though they are both ~2 hrs from it, so whatever bottle of something you bought them would have to be REALLY nice...

Just sent a message to the guy to see if dropping it off at the Bangor Fastenal is a possibility. Also requested an estimate from Fastenal.

We'll see. Hopefully this can work out.

It was pretty cheap. There's more out there, but at that kind of price I'd expect it to sell to the first buyer who saw the ad and could get there.

In the midst of a busy week, I missed all of this.

Funny, I have a Clausing alert on my CL account, but never saw this.

Interesting example / model that must have been early in the run given that CLAUSING is cast in the column; later versions used an attached placard instead.

8511 is an odd one, very little mention of it in Clausing catalogs beyond occasionally seeing the model number listed. Unclear to me whether it was just an 8520 mill sold without the head, buyer to supply own or actually sold with a Bridgeport M head installed.

Hmm I've found a listing for an 8511 on the Bangor ME CL, and that is definitely a standard 8520 / 25 head on there, not a Bridgeport M head. Either someone converted it back to 8520 spec or 8511 was sold as a headless mill, and then someone installed an 8520 head on it turning it into an 8520 despite what the badge says. Clausing did sell the heads alone (8628 with MT2, 8629 with BS7) or the complete turret assembly (8638 / 8639). Interesting that the seller says the only difference between 8511 and 8520 is only having one crank on the left side of the table instead of one on both ends. Every other 8511 I've seen had a Bridgeport head, but this furthers my thought that 8511 was just a headless mill. Maybe only sold with one crank to keep costs down as I don't see them redesigning the table for a weird one off model.

https://maine.craigslist.org/tls/d/bangor-clausing-8511-miller/7481981845.html

1652647650069.png

I'm in the process of upgrading from my ShopTask 3-in-1 BridgeMill. I've recently acquired a 60's era South Bend 10L. It's a joy to use compared to the BridgeMill! Now I need the mill. Space is tight. I could fit a full size mill but it would not be pretty. I've never needed the capacity of a 42" table like is found on most full size knee mils.

I'm in the Florida Panhandle so there isn't much around here. I had to go down to Ocala (4 hours one-way) for my lathe. I read in another thread that a Burke MV would be a good option. Found one of those near Tampa but it looks very rough (especially considering they're asking $1,200).

Any other suggestions on a vertical mill that has decent rigidity that's not so large?
You might find the attached helpful if you are considering a new mill.

Attachments

• Benchtop_versus_Compact_Knee_Mill_12-2021.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 141
8511 is an odd one, very little mention of it in Clausing catalogs beyond occasionally seeing the model number listed. Unclear to me whether it was just an 8520 mill sold without the head, buyer to supply own or actually sold with a Bridgeport M head installed.

Hmm I've found a listing for an 8511 on the Bangor ME CL, and that is definitely a standard 8520 / 25 head on there, not a Bridgeport M head. Either someone converted it back to 8520 spec or 8511 was sold as a headless mill, and then someone installed an 8520 head on it turning it into an 8520 despite what the badge says. Clausing did sell the heads alone (8628 with MT2, 8629 with BS7) or the complete turret assembly (8638 / 8639). Interesting that the seller says the only difference between 8511 and 8520 is only having one crank on the left side of the table instead of one on both ends. Every other 8511 I've seen had a Bridgeport head, but this furthers my thought that 8511 was just a headless mill. Maybe only sold with one crank to keep costs down as I don't see them redesigning the table for a weird one off model.

https://maine.craigslist.org/tls/d/bangor-clausing-8511-miller/7481981845.html

View attachment 407081
That's the one I found on Facebook. It's sold.

That's the one I found on Facebook. It's sold.

Weird it is a 5 day old CL ad, which means the ad was listed on Wednesday, the same day you were told it had been sold.

Back