Summer & Fall Haulage/Scores.

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Here comes the spammage I mentioned in another post. Grab a cuppa of coffee if you're into long reads.
Too cold with the wind today to be outside so I've been sorting the boxes/tubs of junque I've accumulated this past season.
In the dining room no less. Wife has the patience of a saint.
Been a crazy summer with no time at all in the shop to speak of. Have tubs & boxes full of crap.

Back in July there was a local sale and the Gent had a decent shop.
Had to catch a flight out to the in-laws later that day so I didn't get to spend as much time as I wanted to.
The neat score was a ratty cardboard box marked "Wire $5" it was a bag of Harris Safety-Sliv 45T and a couple of other baggies marked Easy Flow 45(?) plus a tube of Blue 1/16" 56 that looks like some stuff UlmaDoc sent me, and a tube of Aladdin for aluminum. I have no idea ... Need to learn how to silver solder soon.
Import boring head, some brass and bronze bearing rods, a couple of sharpening stones, two orphan vee blocks and a bunch of miscellany.
Dirt cheap compared to some other sales and auctions around here. But then it was out and down in the Hollar.
R-0712191409e.jpg
A 'come-a-long' for those 'small' projects. The puppy weighs a ton. Spent a couple of hours trying to get it to function. Gave up. Slathered in oil and stashed it.
R-IMG_20190805_133115.jpg
Then there was an online auction that night - but I was in the air, and I asked my Better Half to bid on it. And she scored it.
R-1111191626.jpg Yet another resto project... This ought to be sweet for sharpening chisels and plane blades.

Good thing I had to make the trip and didn't spend any more time at this one. There was some more cool items that I just didn't have time to dig through.
----
Next one was another decent shop and I (mostly) held off till the last day when they were dealing.
Wife and I scored a couple of decent items to flip the first day so the budget stayed in the black. (except for the brass rod below...)

R_1203191811a.jpg This was still floating around on the last day. Starrett 656-4041J - edp 53801. Action is smooth but the needle is kind of bent. Trying to figure out how it got knocked. Got it for a heck of a good price.
R_IMG_20190816_182135.jpg Last day of the sale, 'Fill-a-Bag'. Kant-Twist Clamps? oh HECK yeah. More orphan Vee Blocks. 14N in good shape.
The Hendy collets I have listed in the classifieds.
Need to think if I'll ever use the Tap-Matic head. It wasn't part of the 'Fill-a-Bag' sadly enough.

R_IMG_20190817_192634--.jpg Hunk of 1-5/8" dia. brass rod. Was still there at the end sitting in a corner. Thinking maybe I should flip it, doubt I'll every use that much brass.
Had to negotiate on it.

R_IMG_20190824_145507.jpg
R_IMG_20190816_182150.jpg Didn't know what a pair of Starrett #54s were used for before I got these.

R-1203191944.jpg
Starrett #196, bought this for $40 on their Online auction with Buy-Now earlier in the week before I saw it. Crystal is missing on the dial. - Don't if figure?

R-0828191332.jpg 'Sleeper' during regular bidding in the Online auction - $45. Welch Vacuum Pump and it works! Was thinking maybe it would make for a good source for a vacuum plate or chuck.

----
Last sale we went to - blowout. Real oddball. Tubs full of cutters and such, Vee-Blocks, Clamps, Grinding wheels yet the only piece of machinery around was a light weight drill press. Sons were there and they said the Father bought out lots at auctions. Perhaps he sold off the machinery.

R_1115192002a.jpg Most of the haul. Bunch of Weldon end mills, 2-flute. Some carbide. handful of center drills.
R_1203191747a.jpg Re-organized and laid-out. Need to get it out of the dining area.
If anyone is in need of 1/16" dia. double-end end mills - give me a shout. There's even a 1/32" dia DE end mill. Don't think I'll ever be using that.

R_1203191747c.jpg Gem! (what I assume is a diamond wheel) Haven't been able to find it listed anywhere.

R_1203191747d.jpg A diamond 'disc', very thin, not sure if it is not worn out or any good.

R_1115192011.jpg (3) double-side grinding stones, needs attention. No marks left on two of them.

R_1203191553a.jpg Now all I need is a surface grinder to go with these. Ring test seems good. Going to have a friend double check me though.
A few look fresh, others have been used. They were on a top shelf hidden in a ratty cardboard box.
R_1116191223.jpg Not sure what this went to, but it was a 'Hunk-of-Iron' so I grabbed it! The date of 9-11-13 intrigues me. Probably 2013 though.
But Universal Vise & Tool doesn't seem to be around any longer.
R_1116191224a.jpg

R_1116191227a.jpg $3? why not? hehe.

R_1116191441.jpg East TN, Poor Man's Anvil?

R_1116191404b.jpg Yet more brass.

RR_1115191819a.jpg 100lbs+ of aluminum for less than scrap prices, again, Heck Yeah.

R_IMG_20191115_172627.jpg Ahem, of course I didn't take the truck....

Attachments

• R_1116191223.jpg
    R_1116191223.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 14
  • R_1116191224a.jpg
    R_1116191224a.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 17
That's amazing. I don't think people have shops like that around here!
Robert

Have you no shame???????
None what so ever. Decent sales or auctions around here with reasonable prices are few and far between.
You guys out in the San Fran - Sacramento area seem to have much better offerings.
The couple of auctions that have popped up around here lately - the prices are sky high.
Although there was an auction down in Alabama a couple of months ago where a 4x8' surface didn't sell. :cool:
Other general type equipment has been going for close to retail or higher.
These 'Blow Out' sales seem to me that the heirs are out-of-town and just need the estate closed out.

That's amazing. I don't think people have shops like that around here!
Robert
There were a few neat ones between Asheville and you this past summer. Too far for us to get to easily.
Don't know how the prices were though.
I'll post a heads-up if I come across any.

Heck yeah. PM me! Thanks
R

Nice haul for sure . I'm glad I don't get to those type sales , I wouldn't be able to walk in the houses . :big grin: That Starrett 196 set goes for $200 + new so the price of a new crystal isn't a factor . That was a steal if in nice shape . I'm getting ready to sell a few of mine now , just have too many and I generally use the Mahrs when I need to . I love junk ( tools ) myself and to see this in a dining room makes me feel right at home . :encourage:

None what so ever. Decent sales or auctions around here with reasonable prices are few and far between.
You guys out in the San Fran - Sacramento area seem to have much better offerings.
The couple of auctions that have popped up around here lately - the prices are sky high.
Although there was an auction down in Alabama a couple of months ago where a 4x8' surface didn't sell. :cool:
Other general type equipment has been going for close to retail or higher.
These 'Blow Out' sales seem to me that the heirs are out-of-town and just need the estate closed out.
Contrary to popular belief most "sales" around here are also sky high. There is just no rhyme or reason but 99% of the time folks hire a co to come in and sell the stuff and very seldom are there bargains there.

Like mmcmdl those mixed boxes would have been impossible to resist. There were so many goodies in there...touch down score!

That's quite a haul:encourage:

Could you tell me what the number on that Norton cup wheel with the small hole? I've been looking for something like that for my tool cutter/grinder.

Thanks,

John

Back