Summit 11x32

robhumble

Registered
Registered
I just bought a Summit lathe and it looks like it’s in good condition. It hasn’t been run in a while so I want to clean it up, remove surface rust from the ways where the saddle sat, and just make it look nice. I bought the manual from the manufacturer, but it doesn’t say anything about the chuck, so I don’t know if it’s removable or not. It’s a 3-jaw that also needs to be cleaned and probably trued up.

I’m looking for advice on any of the above.

IMG_0462.jpeg

I find it hard to believe, but that looks like it could be a threaded spindle nose.
And that is the wrong place to store the chuck key.

Nice looking lathe .......................take the key out of the chuck before you run it . ;)

I have run one of those for many hours in the shop I worked in. The chuck does thread on to the spindle. Be sure and check the hy-vo chain drive from the motor to the jackshaft and keep it adjusted properly. These are very nice machines. I have looked for years for one for myself.

Yeah, I’ve already taken the chuck key out and put it somewhere safe

Thanks for the advice about the chain drive. I’ll look that up in the manual.

Looks like I’ll need to find/make a spanner wrench to remove the chuck. If I do that, can I put a collet in the head? Does anyone know where I could find a 4-jaw for it?

Any suggestions for a DRO?

Yeah, I’ve already taken the chuck key out and put it somewhere safe

Thanks for the advice about the chain drive. I’ll look that up in the manual.

Looks like I’ll need to find/make a spanner wrench to remove the chuck. If I do that, can I put a collet in the head? Does anyone know where I could find a 4-jaw for it?

Any suggestions for a DRO?
4-jaw is likely going to be a DIY affair with a purchased chuck and a shop made backing plate.
Do you know the dimensions of the spindle nose?

I know next to nothing about it so far. I bought it and moved it into storage, and that’s been it. Now my homework begins before I start working on it.

Looks smaller than an L00 , is this a proprietary threaded mount ?

Back