Super Spacer's

dlane

Active User
Registered
Hi all, if someone was wanting a super spacer for a 9x42 mill , what would you suggest, what is more versatile super spacer , rot table , preferably no chi.
Thanks

Last edited:
I have an old Bison 5" 5C super spacer, it works pretty good for what I have needed it for. The newer versions have changeable plates to allow for different indexes. The newer versions DO NOT have the 5c taper and drawbar like mine. I can also mount a 3 jaw chuck to it, i got it used and it didn't have the chuck but i have a small 3 jaw chuck with a 5c adapter.... I use it on a 9x42.
There is no one does all you need, they are all limited in someway, i can only cut gears with it that correspond to the index numbers, you can/cant cut gears on a rotab....dividers will cut all the gears you can think of, hell you can convert spindex into a simple divider, make your own plates on a rotary table and cut all the gears you need... Tom Lipton has a series on that i believe.

I have a 8" SP that I salvage from a dumpster dive. Made in Japan or Taiwan, sold by Big Joe in its day! A little cleaning up and a decent chuck added to it and has been ok for my needs. Dad had a Yuasa 8" SP he bought new. My brother has it now. It's a nice brand, too.

Thanks for the replies, guess I'm not sure what dose what the RT , DH ,SS , I have what I think is called a 5c spin indexer it has 2-1/4" X 10 tpi Chuck mount on it and 5c holder in it I think.
image.jpeg

What would this be good for.
Thanks

Thanks for the replies, guess I'm not sure what dose what the RT , DH ,SS , I have what I think is called a 5c spin indexer it has 2-1/4" X 10 tpi Chuck mount on it and 5c holder in it I think.
View attachment 114789

What would this be good for.
Thanks
It has no use, and pretty much no value.
You should put it a USPS flat rate box to me, and I will turn it into a kinetic sculpture...

Hi all, is there a good way to set up " tram " the 5c indexer on the mill ?. I was thinking insert shaft into appropriate 5c collet and indicate off it ,is that ihow it's done .? Needing to make hex on end of shaft. This unit is a hardinge and has a 2-1/4" X 10 tpi mount on it , I don't have a Chuck that fits it yet.
I guess this should be in the beginners section move if appropriate.
Thanks
Joshua I'll throw this on santa's sleigh next time he passes by for ya.

Does that have any indexes? Far as I can tell it's just a collet holder, that you'd setup on the table and just do work to whatever...

It has 24 indexes by backing out set screws in a plate by the 5c release lever, I found a Dexter 6"
3 jaw tommy bar Chuck with a 1" arbor on it lying around that would seem to work with a 1" 5c collet . What's a spindex?.
Any advice on squaring it up on mill ?.

Last edited:
Hi all, is there a good way to set up " tram " the 5c indexer on the mill ?. I was thinking insert shaft into appropriate 5c collet and indicate off it ,is that ihow it's done .? Needing to make hex on end of shaft. This unit is a hardinge and has a 2-1/4" X 10 tpi mount on it , I don't have a Chuck that fits it yet.
I guess this should be in the beginners section move if appropriate.
Thanks
Joshua I'll throw this on santa's sleigh next time he passes by for ya.

What you describe above for aligning your indexer will work. That is how I would do it.

Tom S

Back