Sure is quiet in here...

Yeah, used to do quite a bit of it on my Sagar lathe. Mostly from "found" wood (lots of fruit trees, big hedge species like holly, etc round here) which is really quite gorgeous lots of times. Still have the lathe but don't do much on it anymore. But I still really like it -- I always tell people it's one of the few machines in the shop you can just doodle on!

-frank

I know, metalwork is something to be done, you have to know what your doing. In woodturning you don't know what your doing till it's done. Thats why I keep doing it even though metalwork is preferred for me.

Wow, that thing is a beast. Congrats on the new arrival. Can I ask once you were told it was being shipped, how long did it take to arrive?

Mike.

Hi Mike,
I ordered it first week of May. Took Matt about 10 days to prep it. unfortunately the thing just sat there on the dock with the carrier for about a week+.
Finally Matt had to go to the place and put it on a FedEX truck last Monday eve and it arrived here Yesterday before noon! He ate the extra shipping charges as it was expedited. Matt really came through on that. By no means was it his fault. He is one busy guy.

Bob.

Thanks guys,
I still have much to do on the garage before I can make chips. No conduit ran yet. Still need to figure out machine placement. I have a big ole
Thomson Model F surface grinder to install and the Lagun needs brake shoes (head is tore down ATM). Looking for a Vertical band saw as well.
Amongst other things I cant think of right now.

Bob

140.jpg 005.jpg

Hi Mike,
I ordered it first week of May. Took Matt about 10 days to prep it. unfortunately the thing just sat there on the dock with the carrier for about a week+.
Finally Matt had to go to the place and put it on a FedEX truck last Monday eve and it arrived here Yesterday before noon! He ate the extra shipping charges as it was expedited. Matt really came through on that. By no means was it his fault. He is one busy guy.

Bob.

Thanks Bob. So if you ordered it the first week of May, I am assuming he had it in stock and didn't have to wait for it from oversees, is that correct?

Mike.

I received my PM1236 not too long after you received yours, Morgan. Unfortunately, a crazy work schedule and a new baby have kept from getting it completely set up.

It's up on the stand and powered up, and has even made quite a few chips already (nothing requiring much accuracy), but I've yet to make a base for it, so it's not leveled yet either. I just received the metal I ordered for the base a couple days ago, so I might work on getting the base made this weekend. Do you know what shade of blue it was that you used for your base? I have some touch up work to do on the top of the stand, and would also like to paint my base to match, like you did.

Also, I don't know if you mentioned it or not, but if you haven't leveled yours yet, I recently bought a Starrett machinist's level that I wouldn't mind loaning out to you, since you're local.

Thanks Bob. So if you ordered it the first week of May, I am assuming he had it in stock and didn't have to wait for it from oversees, is that correct?

Mike.

You r correct. He had it in stock. I was looking at 1440 but since that one was in stocks I grabbed it.

Bob

Bob, that sure is nice looking machine. What is your plan to get it down from the pallet?

JayBob, The stand had a few spots where the paint had flaked off and some surface rust had formed. I tried to find a color that would match it, but was unsuccessful. I found that the Rustoleum Sail Blue (7724) was very close. I cleaned up the rusty spots with a flap disc, hit it with some of the Rustoleum self etching primer and painted it. It looked pretty good, but I just couldn't get past the slight mis-match. I ended up repainting the entire base and chip pan. I don't know how well it will hold up, but I have had good results with their enamels in the past, so I figured I'd give it a go. I let it sit in the hot garage for a week before I messed with it. It seems to have toughened up nicely. It hasn't wrinkled up and seems to be withstanding the machine oil just fine. Time will tell. While I was at it, I used some electrical tape to mask off the rubber on the leveling feet and hit the tops of them, too. I appreciate the level offer. I do have one of the 96 series levels, but if you have one of the master levels, and have time, you could bring it out and we could cook out or something. I am in no particular rush, though.
:drink:

I'm waiting on my buddy coming with his back hoe as we speak matter of fact. I pulled the back splash off and have it slinger up with heavy tie dwn straps.

Bob, that sure is nice looking machine. What is your plan to get it down from the pallet?

JayBob, The stand had a few spots where the paint had flaked off and some surface rust had formed. I tried to find a color that would match it, but was unsuccessful. I found that the Rustoleum Sail Blue (7724) was very close. I cleaned up the rusty spots with a flap disc, hit it with some of the Rustoleum self etching primer and painted it. It looked pretty good, but I just couldn't get past the slight mis-match. I ended up repainting the entire base and chip pan. I don't know how well it will hold up, but I have had good results with their enamels in the past, so I figured I'd give it a go. I let it sit in the hot garage for a week before I messed with it. It seems to have toughened up nicely. It hasn't wrinkled up and seems to be withstanding the machine oil just fine. Time will tell. While I was at it, I used some electrical tape to mask off the rubber on the leveling feet and hit the tops of them, too. I appreciate the level offer. I do have one of the 96 series levels, but if you have one of the master levels, and have time, you could bring it out and we could cook out or something. I am in no particular rush, though.
:drink:
Hmm...well, maybe I'll just paint the base black, and try out that Rustoleum paint for some touchups. I like the extra bit you did, painting the feet too. Looks really good.

I'm not very well versed in the model numbers of the levels, but mine is a 98-8. I assume that means it's a 98 series? It's 8" long, which I imagine is plenty long enough for our purposes.

either way, I always enjoy a good cook out!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back