Surface Grinder for a hobbyist

Thanks for the great feedback.

I'm looking at a Boyer and Shultz 6x12 for $300. After a cheap mag Chuck and vfd I'll be into it about $600, then there's tooling. Outside of a used wheel that's on it I don't think it comes with much more, if any.
That's the crux of the biscuit. Like a lathe, mill, etc the tooling is many times more than the original outlay. In my case the first machine was a Chevalier 6x12 with probably 8 wheels, special grinding fixtures nice mag chuck and looked in good condition. The seller was the son who grew up in the shop and swore the SG was not used that much. When I noticed the paint was worn off the handles and that the spindle had been rebuilt that's when I decided to pull the table. You're going to have to pull it anyway to transport the SG. What I saw made my heart sink. It had an oiler system and either the orifices were plugged or he didn't pump it because the ways were scored and worn. And I never would have seen that otherwise and was really pretty much sold because it used to be a great machine. The son was pretty much floored too.

Yeah that's. Nice one. It came with the mag Chuck for that?

Yes, it came with the chuck for that.
Now, mine came with no tooling except for the wrench for wheel. But... I have a buddy that has wheels for this grinder that he said he would give to me, so I scored on that front too.
I quite often see surface grinders go for cheap on auctions around here, but that being said, a lot of them look really tired out. This one that I have actually came with the original manual too.

This is all great info. The one I am looking at is literally 3 hours away from home.. I'd hate to pull a trailer that far to find out the machine is not any good. I live in Lake City Florida and don't really have any auctions around to look at, at least none that I've found...

Thanks for the great feedback.

I'm looking at a Boyer and Shultz 6x12 for $300. After a cheap mag Chuck and vfd I'll be into it about $600, then there's tooling. Outside of a used wheel that's on it I don't think it comes with much more, if any.
Have to go over it very carefully.
A gent I met here in the area quite awhile ago has a Boyer and Shultz. He bought w/o it being under power.
Spindle was fine, table was toast. Unfortunately it is sitting in the corner of his shop gathering dust when last I saw it.

I think unless you spend quite a bit of money on a grinder, your going to get a project to work on. Remember this is a hobby forum. If you want to hold tenths or sub tenths you better get out the check book.
Joe

Depends....
There are machines out there that have seen very little use but are no longer needed. It is a matter of finding those nuggets. If a person takes the time, good machines can be found. I feel like my Bridgeport is a solid machine with little use. I have been looking for one of these though for well over a year.

Depends....
There are machines out there that have seen very little use but are no longer needed. It is a matter of finding those nuggets. If a person takes the time, good machines can be found. I feel like my Bridgeport is a solid machine with little use. I have been looking for one of these though for well over a year.
Not only don't get in a rush but here on H-M there have been some incredible threads. There is an amazing array of guys on here with some incredible experience and just reading those threads made me way more experienced sounding than I was. I couldn't have run the machine myself but bringing my mag base, test indicator and my mechanic stethoscope told me a LOT along with my mechanic background. I avoided a boat anchor that if I'd not known to pull the table and look at the ways I was to the point where I was deep in tool lust and reaching for my pocketbook. So while you are searching I'd suggest looking through SG threads and boning up. Helps pass the time and definitely ignorance is not bliss if you are prone to buyers remorse. Like I am.

Back