Surface grinder washer for wheel adapter

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I only have one adapter so far for my Delta Surface grinder. I need to make more, I have 1144 , but just haven't gotten to it.
so tonight I mounted up a thin wheel only to find out that the journal that the wheel fits on is too wide. next thicker, same.
finally I got close but had to use a crappy washer I had laying around from the rebuild of it... I now know what it was used for, and it was obviously misused when I got it. It's destroyed but I made do.

I want to make a few to get me by until I can make a new one... Can the washer be 6061... I think it can, but want to hear from more knowledgeable grinders.

It isn't so much the material as the "washer" being parallel with the bore being perpendicular and sized correctly. I have used aluminum grinding spacers but they were shop made.

Buy from the William Sopko company. Their business is wheel adaptors and accessories.

It isn't so much the material as the "washer" being parallel with the bore being perpendicular and sized correctly. I have used aluminum grinding spacers but they were shop made.
yep, understood. I plan to make them as well. Just wasn't sure AL was a good idea. I didn't think it's a problem as T6 is pretty strong in compression, or that type of compression.

I imagine that the washers used for Delta may be the same as their standard ones,

they don't make the Delta adapter anymore. They used to. I guess not enough business to keep stock on hand.

This is a Toolmaker grinder? Do you know anyone who makes wheel adapters?

You're looking for just the washer that has the tab(s)?
I have one and made four arbors without them. Not necessary for them as long as you never reverse the wheel. You probably have an arbor not made for the thin wheel you wanted to use.

Did you try SMALL TOOLS INC.
located in Cleveland ohio
Or
JAB Inc . also selling tooling and small machinery.
Cleveland Ohio
Both can be reached by phone and sell on the bay.
Both are the kind of place that has more than what is listed on their page.
Both are selling both new and used.

Back