Surface Plate

SRay53TxTn

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
How important is a surface plate to a home hobbyist with a new PM728 mill coming soon?
Just trying to get my top ten mill tools in hand before it arrives.

I've had a home machine shop for close to 25 years. Still don't have a granite plate. Of course I have all ways had access to one through work so If I had something mission critical I could get it done. But the number of times I needed that could be counted on one hand.

That is exactly the info I was looking for and now can have some extra $ to spend on tooling.

:rolleyes:Luckily that's all the tools I'll ever need. I know ha ha ha.
I keep looking for local deals on machinist tools (CL & FB Marketplace), however, most look like they have had a hard life and not well maintained.

And of course - Thank you for your insights!

Last edited:
I have an 18 X 24 surface plate but don't use it all that often. Many other things I'd get first.
Buy as you find a need,

I have a couple in the shop. One is a 24"x 36" Challenge cast iron model (475 lbs.) on a stand and with lifting pins. The other is a 12" x 18" no name. I bought mine from the shop I worked in for peanuts (less than $150.00 for the pair). In the scheme of things they would be low on the list unless you can get them cheap, and have a way to transport them. Mine don't get used all that often. They were purchased for specific jobs and spend a good deal of the time under covers taking up room.

I thought I needed a surface plate and used my 6x9" Tormach tool setting plate for everything. Found a new import grade B 18x24" for $90 locally with inspection report so I picked it up. Nothing to write home about but it does as spec'd. Bowl shaped by 2um (0.000078") from lowest point to corner. That's less than a tenth and a whole lot more accurate than I can even measure.

Honestly I haven't used it much. Did a bit of pseudo scraping and a couple metrology cradles for odd parts, but usually it collects paperwork.

Although when I do need it, it is extremely handy to have. For example I have an 8" height gage that covers me on the >6" <8" part sizes. Needs to be used on a surface plate. Also great for flatness inspection using a test indicator on a base. I personally think you need a plate much larger than the majority of parts you work on.

PS: Mine is 140 lbs and an absolute bear to move around the shop.

Last edited:
That is exactly the info I was looking for and now can have some extra $ to spend on tooling.

:rolleyes:Luckily that's all the tools I'll ever need. I know ha ha ha.
I keep looking for local deals on machinist tools (CL & FB Marketplace), however, most look like they have had a hard life and not well maintained.

And of course - Thank you for your insights!
If you really think you need one, go to a granite countertop maker.
They usually will have a pallet of scraps that might have a piece that works.
Mine is 12x12.

Take very careful care of your mill’s table and that can serve as your “surface plate” for quite a while. Two places to look for a temporary plate would be a place that makes granite counter tops, use a sink cutout. Also a monument company, sometimes they have rejects or mistakes that they will sell cheap

Richard

Back