Surface Plate

Chatting with one of my car buddies this morning, he knew of one (big piece of granite the owners dad had in the back of the garage) and the owner needs some car parts I have, we may can make a trade deal.
I have sold most of my car and motorcycle stuff to fund my hobby machine shop. Keeps me off the pavement in many different ways + makes the wife happy.
Taking a drive to see it tomorrow.

I got this one at a consignment sale two years ago for $50. (I have not used it yet but I am glad to have it). Spend your money on endmills and other milling machine tooling for now but keep your eye open for a good deal on a used surface plate locally (don’t get one that has to be shipped - it might cost as much as the plate!)

Rick

Attachments

• 2E62D4F7-D24D-4826-B7C8-6E560C517E5D.jpeg
    2E62D4F7-D24D-4826-B7C8-6E560C517E5D.jpeg
    771.7 KB · Views: 32
Ended up getting the surface plate from my trip today. It was in a corner of his garage under some magazines and car parts.
No damage to any surfaces and unfortunately no identifying markings. Shop grade?
It looked like an OK deal for car parts trade. Heavy -Not something I want to move around frequently.
Got it to my home hobby area and cleaned it up. I printed up some labels for it and was going to try some basic accuracy measurements, however, of course my $15 Chinesium height tool is dead.
Guess I need some better tools to determine accuracy. Of course it is probably the flattest piece I own.

Attachments

• surface plate 1.jpg
    surface plate 1.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 24
  • surface plate 2.jpg
    surface plate 2.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 23
  • surface plate 3.jpg
    surface plate 3.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 23
Ended up getting the surface plate from my trip today. It was in a corner of his garage under some magazines and car parts.
No damage to any surfaces and unfortunately no identifying markings. Shop grade?
It looked like an OK deal for car parts trade. Heavy -Not something I want to move around frequently.
Got it to my home hobby area and cleaned it up. I printed up some labels for it and was going to try some basic accuracy measurements, however, of course my $15 Chinesium height tool is dead.
Guess I need some better tools to determine accuracy. Of course it is probably the flattest piece I own.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I'd bet even an off-brand surface plate is good enough for most shop work, and that one doesn't look to have a mark on it. It's hard to imagine it not being good enough considering no damage, probably almost no use, etc.

Back