Swanson Drill Grinding Jig - Question

Canuck75

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Does or has anyone out there seen a working example of a N. H. Swanson Drill Grinding Apparatus under US Patent 2,583,159 dated Jan 22, 1959?
The overall principal seems to be remarkably like the current common little swing jig available under so many different brand names.
It is more complicated having a vertical pivot post and other means of introducing relief and chisel angles.
Any information, especially dimensional would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Swanson Drill Grinding fixture drawings.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 192
Does or has anyone out there seen a working example of a N. H. Swanson Drill Grinding Apparatus under US Patent 2,583,159 dated Jan 22, 1959?
The overall principal seems to be remarkably like the current common little swing jig available under so many different brand names.
It is more complicated having a vertical pivot post and other means of introducing relief and chisel angles.
Any information, especially dimensional would be greatly appreciated.

Hello: I have one that I think is mostly complete but have no instructions as to how to use it.. Cheers from Louisiana; Mike

Attachments

• swanson.jpg
    swanson.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20220606_160401.jpg
    20220606_160401.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 81
Hello: I have one that I think is mostly complete but have no instructions as to how to use it.. Cheers from Louisiana; Mike
Hello Ramsay, thanks for the reply. I think use can be ciphered from reading the Patent description and was wondering if you have tried it. Would like to know the results.

Thanks

Hello Ramsay, thanks for the reply. I think use can be ciphered from reading the Patent description and was wondering if you have tried it. Would like to know the results.

Thanks
Hello: No I have not tried it.. I have a black diamond unit I use and had forgotten about the Swanson unit... I may try it for my smaller drills....Cheers from USA Mike

It looks the same as any other conical-grind/swing-type jig sold over the last 75 years. Maybe it has some fangled features, but the movement is the same; index your rotation and set your depth, grind, invert drill, repeat. I am fairly fond of those sharpeners, they're good for such a range of sizes, are adjustable for different needs on the fly, and can make short work of a coffee can of dull bits.

It looks the same as any other conical-grind/swing-type jig sold over the last 75 years. Maybe it has some fangled features, but the movement is the same; index your rotation and set your depth, grind, invert drill, repeat. I am fairly fond of those sharpeners, they're good for such a range of sizes, are adjustable for different needs on the fly, and can make short work of a coffee can of dull bits.

I wonder how you set the angle and expect it to hold... There is only one screw that locks the angle once set... Other units comparable to this one have a way to lock the angle once it is set... Mike in USA

That is a little different. It looks like the angle is set by the bit touching the wheel, using the cast reference boss as a 29-degree angle guide. Says something to that effect in section 7 of the patent text. Then you roll the bit 180 degrees to touch the gauge and repeat for the other side. It looks like a nice sharpener, definitely better than the millions of those silver-painted Craftsman jigs out there. I run a modified swing jig on my Sheckel D-bit grinder and like using it. At the end of the day, it's the same sharpening motion as far as the bit is concerned. Have you checked around the Tube of You for a video worth a thousand words?

Back