Swarf "Hook" (grabber?)

I keep a pair of extra long needle nose pliers on the lathe carriage. I also use this air nozzle a lot to remove swarf from the cutter. If it is light enough, the air pressure will suffice.
IMG_0129.jpg
IMG_0130.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best one I ever used was made from an old hacksaw blade.

I ground the remaining teeth off of the blade and used a cutoff wheel to open a slot on an angle to where one of the holes were in one end. Bade a piece of broom handle into a handle buy cutting a slot and wedging the other end in and drilling for a screw to go into that hole.

This allows you to get into very narrow places, but it also will not "Kick back" it it comes in contact with the wrong part of a spinning chuck.

If this happens the blade just turns into a Z and you can straighten it back out, but no one would ever do this under power anyway.

Right?

I try not to pull them when the machine spindle is running. And even with the spindle stopped the bird's nest are like razor wire. I think the right tool for the job when the spindle is stopped is needle nose plyers. I cringe when I see someone on You Tube pulling chips that are spinning with their bare hands. Just ask Outside Screwball what happened to his friend and Mentor Chuy' After years of getting away with unsafe practices he paid the price for that one time.

Back