[4]

Swivel of the Mill Turret

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
How important is it to have the turret or the ram 90° or perpindicular to the vise?

4ssss

Registered
If it's not you're basically cutting an angle instead of a square. On some things it's not important, others it is, but it's good machining practice to keep your head trammed.

ddickey

Head tramming is different, correct?
I adjust the node, and tilt but not sure how to check the swivel. I'll have to think about it.

F

f350ca

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
It would only matter if you didn't have enough travel on the table to complete an operation and had to extend the ram. I've never ran into that problem.

Greg

itsme_Bernie

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
If I am understanding our question, exactly as-written, it should not matter a single bit.

It could only possibly matter if you were using the turret to move during an operation, which I don’t believe to be a good idea.
We are talking about a Bridgeport? The movement is also not easily controlled.

I don’t even believe a Deckel turret is meant to be used for cutting movements, but I may be mistaken.

Bernie

pineyfolks

Active User
Registered
If I am understanding our question, exactly as-written, it should not matter a single bit.

That's how I read it too. You're actually squaring the vice to the table ways not the turret so it shouldn't matter unless you're using a horizontal attachment

682bear

Not important at all... the movement of the saddle and table is independent of the turret.

-Bear

Chipper5783

Active User
Like Bear said, it does not matter. If you needed to machine on the end of a long component, you may wish to swivel the turret and extend the ram - that would put more of the work piece on the table.

[6]
[5] [7]