T-DRO won’t let tablet sleep.

My Samsung & Fire tablets may not actually be going to sleep when I quick-push the power button: they immediately come to life with my next press. As the Samsung is plugged in all of the time and the Fire is plugged in whenever not in actual use, I can’t say for certain what their status is.

These are the only non-iPad tablets I have. The iPads go into a low power mode when you push the power button unless you long press: then you get a power down screen to confirm. I suspect this is the same for the Android (-ish) tablets.

The main reason I “rest” the TouchDRO tablets is to preserve the screens. I don’t lock either of them since I don’t cart them outside of the shop and don’t have anything private on them. Since my iPads all have access to my account (as do our iPhones), all of these are set to Lock Screen after a short time.

Oh, just like we used to hear in the 90’s that a software update was coming “real soon?” I seem to recall Microsoft telling us that something was “a feature.”
No, this is an intentional feature. Here is the code:

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 5.06.53 PM.png

A good portion of TouchDRO users are not computer wizards. I can't count on everybody to know how to set screen timeout, and Android ships with VERY aggressive timeouts on some devices.

View attachment 468932

A good portion of TouchDRO users are not computer wizards. I can't count on everybody to know how to set screen timeout, and Android ships with VERY aggressive timeouts on some devices.
My apologies: please excuse my feeble attempt at humor.

My apologies: please excuse my feeble attempt at humor.
Oh, I wasn't offended. This just happens to be that one case where I can actually prove that something I did is a feature ;)

I've been writing software professionally for 20 years (actually, almost to the day) and "for fun" for another 10 years. I have Bachelor's and Master's degree in Computer Science, and work for one of the largest software companies.
All this is to say that I am REALLY good at solving very hard problems and then breaking the whole thing by misspelling the word "Label" right before a do-or-die demo.

No joke. Last month I met someone who is now working on my old team, and when I introduced myself, he casually asked if I was the Yuriy that spell "Label" as "Lable" everywhere. (and was curious why I do this. Obviously with 100% consistency there must be a reason)

Oh, and I've used Windows 98 and Millennium. Still working through that trauma with my therapist... :D

Regards
Yuriy

View attachment 468932

So if one were adventurous and wanted to change the code to let the tablet sleep, what line would be changed and to what.

I’ve dabbled in video game script in another life and would be game to try this and see if it works better for me. Or if it even works at all.

Worst that could happen is I need to un/re install?

View attachment 468932

You're a braver programmer than me! :D

No way would I publically post my code anywhere other than GitHub. Whilst you do get eejits on Github that want to do a toxic non-constructive code review, in that context you just have to grit your teeth and accept it.

I'm just waiting for someone to come along and offer some 'helpful' suggestions for 'refactoring' :D

(programmer in my 28th career year; amazed I haven't yet chucked it all in to join a monastery :D)

why would you want to.. you never want the tablet going to sleep while you are using it.
I’m at a loss as to how this would happen or how it would affect anything.

I’m probably the odd man out here, so tell me what I’m missing.

I’m at a loss as to how this would happen or how it would affect anything.

I’m probably the odd man out here, so tell me what I’m missing.
If there were nothing in the code keeping the tablet awake, it could go dark while you're in the middle of a cut and creeping up on a specific measurement. Worst case it could cause you to ruin a part, but it would at least be annoying. Certainly having it as an option would be ok, but by nature, there's going to be power available where it's being used, so I just keep the tablet plugged in my little stand on the mill table. Sometimes I unplug it if I want to move it, but it mostly stays powered all the time. Yes, this isn't necessarily great for the battery depending on the hardware.

All this is to say that I am REALLY good at solving very hard problems and then breaking the whole thing by misspelling the word "Label" right before a do-or-die demo.
I have developed the super human ability to randomly, but consistently, stick a semicolon at the end of the line of any language that doesn't want it, and leave one out on any that does. I hear this is not a unique power.

Back