T-Nut Posts

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Nelson or any other interested party,
I have some files from the old Rec.Crafts.Metalworking. For those of you who don't know, back in the day this was the Usenet spot where metalworking types went to get information, blow off steam or just communicate with other like minded folks. On this list was a fellow named Robert Bastow who went by the moniker "T-Nut". He was a wealth of machine shop information and just one hell of a fine fellow. One day we learned that he died of cancer. That day I copied down all his posts in hopes of doing something with them. That was about 10 years ago and I still haven't done anything with this data. I am hoping that I find someone to organize the information and make it more useful for all.
What I have is a 9Meg Word file that is just too big to send via email. In the file is a ton of information on machining, gunsmithing, automobiles and all sorts of topics. If anyone is interested, I can figure out a way to get the file to them. This is free to anyone who will actually do something with the file to make it more usable and available to the public. Since it was pulled from the Usenet, I doubt that there would be any copyright or legal issues to deal with.
PM me anyone is interested
Thanks
Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
That file is not too large for some of the free file drop services. I use 4shared.com. They have a 500meg filesize limit I believe. It's free. I have an account set up if you wish to use it. Or, since it is in .doc format, it would be simple to break down into manageable bites.

Do you have the means of saving the file as a PDF? That would be much smaller. Alternatively, zip it (right-click in Windows - select 'Send to' - then 'compressed file'). Then e-mail it to me and I'll convert it to PDF, after making an index (I've done this for lots of large publications professionally and can do that quickly).
I'll then post it here.
e-mail: joe DOT hovel AT bigpond DOT com

Cheers,
Joe

It could very well be Teenut or any variation. My memory is not as good as it used to be ;D
According to my wife, if one goes to
www.theviaplan.com/T-nut-Posts
you should be able to download the document later on today. Hopefully this will work.

Randy

This reminds me of a similar development at another forum, radio related. One of our moderators passed away quite unexpectedly.

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=147574

His daughter found a link to the site on his pc and came on to let us know. Ripped a hole in our collective heart. This thread made me think that someone should try to copy out his posts. I think there were 38,000+ of them.

I split out all of his posts into a separate file for each subject. Zipped up it is a little over 2MB.

Hope it helps somebody.

Bill

Edit: I noticed that some the file had funky names because of special characters in the subject line of the posts which made them hard to open. I've replaced the zip file with a new one with the filenames cleaned up. Sorry about that.

Attachments

• Bastow2.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
Dave and Bill,

I am glad to hear that ya'll were able to download the posts. I felt that they would be much more usable as a Word file. I have never been fond of PDF or Zip files.

There are just too many pages for those files to be useful. I am hoping that some clever soul can figure out how to categorize and edit so other folks can get some use out of all those pages. Robert sure gave out a lot of free useful information. I can remember waiting to hear his input on the topics at hand. On machine shop stuff his word was the word of the master and it was seldom disputed.

Randy

Randy,

Forgive my delay in responding...

I have seen Bob's name...

The files you have would be very useful and I would be happy to download them over to the downloads section of our site. I can edit them and then convert them to PDF (Word does that automatically now in its "Save as" function).

Here is what ya'all can do.

We have a 10M limit on downloads imposed by our server (stupid limit I know- but their rules not mine).
Please upload them here:

http://hobby-machinist.com/index.php?action=downloads;cat=37

Click "Add a download" and Browse for the file and upload it. I will go through it when I get the time.

Best,

Nelson

Back