T-Slot attachment for 7x mini lathe

Good strategy.

I actually purchased two sets of brass gibs for my original 7x mini. Used one, kept one as spare. Need to acquire another set so I have a full set spare. I used a couple on other things (brass half-nut gib for one) and used the the compound gib on this secondary lathe I am using whilst I rebuild my original 7x.

Which reminds me... I need to order an upgrade apron for this Sieg 7x.... It lacks the H/wheel gear bearing and does not have a dovetail for the half-nut gib strip. DANGIT! started with the two half nut upgrade, now I'm in the rabbit hole I wanted to avoid.

@SouthernChap It's a very handy tool to have for the mini lathe.

You **might** need a separate gib strip for it since the original gib strip is setup for the original compound slide and the grub screw locations **might** be differently located on the T-Slot slide.

Not had chance to fully check mine yet, but I have a spare Gib strip handy anyway.
I found the original gib strip worked fine for me, but, given the relatively generous manufacturing tolerances used to make these machines, it probably would be wise to get another gib strip to dedicate to the T-Slot slide.

So far, I have just locked the compound in place due to the nature of the job I used it for. It didn't even have the feedscrew installed. So adjusting the gib wasn't an issue. Something for me to think about, too!

I made my own version of the Fignoggle gib-making fixture, for improving the gibs on my mill. So if need be it wouldn't be too difficult to make another gib for my T-slot slide.

I found the original gib strip worked fine for me, but, given the relatively generous manufacturing tolerances used to make these machines, it probably would be wise to get another gib strip to dedicate to the T-Slot slide.

So far, I have just locked the compound in place due to the nature of the job I used it for. It didn't even have the feedscrew installed. So adjusting the gib wasn't an issue. Something for me to think about, too!

I made my own version of the Fignoggle gib-making fixture, for improving the gibs on my mill. So if need be it wouldn't be too difficult to make another gib for my T-slot slide.

Ever thought of drilling and tapping the compound rest so you can use a bolt/grub screw through the T-Slot slide an into the compound rest to properly lock it into position and stop it wanting to move under load?

Something I am looking to do...

Think the T/Post thread is M10 1.5, though I would need to check to be sure...

Ever thought of drilling and tapping the compound rest so you can use a bolt/grub screw through the T-Slot slide an into the compound rest to properly lock it into position and stop it wanting to move under load?

Something I am looking to do...

Think the T/Post thread is M10 1.5, though I would need to check to be sure...
Yes, it's M10-1.5.

A lock screw is a good idea. That way, the gib screw adjustment(s) don't need to be messed with.

It's something I am considering for the normal top slide for when I do not use it for single-pointing or taper turning. Keeping the original short bolt for the occasions when I need it.

Might prove a pain, but extra rigidity is extra rigidity.

Back