Table saw or radial arm saw

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I don't have much shop space. I have had my radial arm saw for decades. It has always done what I needed. After moving into to my current house and not yet setting up my radial arm saw I picked up a Rockwell 9" table saw for free. Cleaned it up and used it extensively during my remodel. I had it set up on my covered patio. It is now crammed into my 10'x12' shed along with my radial arm saw, drill presses, grinders, etc. I really don't have the space for both the radial arm saw and the table saw. The radial arm saw sits along one side of the shed. The table saw only fits in the middle of the shed.

shed 003.jpg

The table saw always seems to be in the way no matter where I stick it. The question is which should I keep. The table saw or the radial arm saw. Or both and live with the congestion. The table saw is on wheels. I hate to sell a tool.

I had a RA saw from my teens through to my 40s... I used it extensively.
I prefer my tablesaw that I got when I sold my RAS. I find it much nicer to use.
I added an outfeed table (best thing to do). It collects stuff at times, but never so much that I can't use it quickly. I clean it off and get to work.
I have thought about making a cover for those times when I need another bench.. but have not done it. I would make it out of tempered hardboard. I have a dado set that I use quite often, I prefer it to routing grooves or dados. But I use a router when needed.
I have 2 molding sets, rip blades, and combo blades.

My early teen RAS was 9", later in life I went to a ten inch. My TS is 10". I think the 9" is going to limit your blade choices. A fence that locks down is important. mine does not lock on the far side, so I often use a piece of maple and a small C clamp to prevent it from moving , and thus it is locked down solid.

My preference a TS. I would love to move up to a saw stop, my TS is a contractor saw (not the current crop), the 250-300lb type. It still serves me well, but I would love to have the saw stop as my age and brain go hand in hand.

What should you keep, that's your choice. I just enjoyed ranting. ;)

A radial arm saw is more versatile, a table saw is more rigid and precise. Sort of like BP versus horzontal mill. Pick yer poison.

I forgot to mention the 12 ton hydraulic press that I need to find a spot for in the shed.

The table saw always seems to be in the way no matter where I stick it.
The wife always tells me where to stick it FWIW . :( Everything I own is now on wheels after these past few months although I still cant get to the tools . But I do think having both saves time on different set ups if you have the space .

I forgot to mention the 12 ton hydraulic press that I need to find a spot for in the shed.
Seems as if we're in the same boat . :rolleyes::)

Depends on what kind of work you do. 90% of what we do gets done on the RAS, but if you cut a ton of sheet goods the TS will do, but even then you needsroom for an outfeed or just room to handle the material. In my small shop sheet goods are a pain even on my 10" Unisaw. Makes me consider breaking sheets down on sawhorse in the driveway with a skilsaw and making finishing cuts in the shop.

Tim

I have both plus a compound miter saw. Each excels in its own way. For cross cuts, I will use the radial arm. If I'm ripping, the table saw is the tool. While I can cut miters on both the radial arm and the table saw, it is far easier to change angles on the compound miter.

For what it's worth, the saw I use the most is the radial arm. I find it far more accurate than the table saw and if it is a long board, cross cutting on a table saw is difficult to manage. (If I built a sled, that could change the picture.)

A consideration on choosing the saw to use is that a table saw references the front side of the board while the radial arm saw references the back side. This distinction can come into play when dealing with less than perfect wood.

Back