Table saw or radial arm saw

What is the actual number of saws one needs, I started in construction with a table saw, then added a Radial to cut lengths, a day off and traded it for a canoe, to go fishing. Then I used a compound saw for a replacement. But The yearn was Radial and I eventually found an old Dewalt baby. But in the missing years I had chainsaws, then a processor for excavator, Norwood sawmill. So that meant I needed a Laguna band saw. But I use the reciprocating saw a lot too and metal band saw or skill saw, and metal chop saw. I guess one saw or two is not a choice on a ranch. Choose wisely lol ps my favourite is Stihl’s curved hand pruning saw, i never quad or tractor without it.

Last edited:
I ran a custom wood shop for over 20 years, IMHO the Table Saw is way more versatile, useful and safer than a Radial Arm Saw. At my old shop we had a 16" RAS that was handy for cutting lumber to length but we got rid of it to make room for the 2nd sliding panel saw, which also could take a 16" blade. Currently I have a 10" TS and a sliding miter saw and really don't see the need for a RAS.

Both are handy, our shop is cluttered and cannot get to table saw, shame on us!

The RAS is used for cutoff, both wood and aluminum.

Also used for flat space...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I decided to keep both the RAS and the table saw. Spent the morning sorting and cleaning out stuff in the shed. The TS is on wheels and fits under the left end of the RAS. It will be crowded to use the TS when I pull it out from underneath the RAS. But I use it mostly for small stuff.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Personally, I'd choose a table saw over a miter or radial arm saw. I find a table saw more versatile of the two. Nothing you can do on a radial arm saw that you can't on a table saw, but it's not so the other way around. Some tasks might be easier on a radial arm saw, but they can still be done on a table saw, albeit perhaps with a bit more setup/difficulty.

BUT;

I'd have to have the room to use it.

As in, able to run a 4x8' sheet of plywood through it. Both on the in-feed and out-feed side. Seems your shed size might not allow for that.

Back