Tablet holder recommendations?

Net30

Registered
Registered
Hanging about getting a larger Galaxy Tab for the lathe and the mill. What have you used for tablet holders that have held up to a shop type environment? I'm almost certain if I go and buy something cheap off amazon, I'll destroy it within a week.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240210_015903_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240210_015903_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 37
When I was still working in pharmaceutical wholesale, I installed RAM Mount tablet holders on all of our forklifts. Those mounts could withstand pretty much anything. Vibration, temperature changes, straight up abuse from ill-tempered warehouse workers…

I bent up a piece of sheet metal to hold my 10" tablet and mounted it to a $20 swiveling TV vesa adapter. I mounted it to the wall and it will go flat or pull out to several different angles.

I have made 2 tablet holders. One is bolted to the lathe, the other uses a magnetic holder.
TabletHolder.JPG

I bought a tablet holder/mount from tackform on Amazon.. Vey nicely made.. _ adjustable arms
Also bought on ebay a NOS DRO mount "ACU-RITE DRO Mounting Arm 1223636-01" , which was just a swing arm with brackets
for $25 shipped.. I see he has another for sale for $12.50
My tablet is 10"

Dan

Last edited:
I purchased this and it seems to work good. The Ram Mounts are also excellent but more expensive.

Does that hold the tablet in portrit mode too? Looks like it might not constrain it from slipping out the bottom if you rotate it, if it even rotates?

Mine is too new to know yet whether I'll end up using it much or at all in portrait, but the screen does display a bolt pattern in portrait which I think I might like. The holder I got rotates easily and holds it securely at any angle, but it was kind of expensive, $47 and that's just the tablet holder, I had to make my own arm. I just whipped that out with hot-roll steel angle and some bolts and washers though. Possibly overbuilt but very strong and rigid.

The tablet holder is a König & Meyer, German made, great design and quality build. (I'm trying not to buy anything Chinese made, or from Amazon, but that's just me, not trying to convince anyone else.) K&M seems to specialize in microphone stands and music holders, so I'm guessing this is aimed at musicians.

If anyone is interested, I got it on ebay here "open box" but it had everything in it, seems like a reliable seller. They still have a couple more, after I bought two! As soon as my wife saw mine she made me buy another one, because she's broken three cheap Amazon tablet stands in the last year. (She doesn't share my dislike of Amazon... yet. She's getting there.)

Does that hold the tablet in portrit mode too? Looks like it might not constrain it from slipping out the bottom if you rotate it, if it even rotates?

It does rotate and the arms will also stretch enough to hold my tablet (9.5") in portrait also. My tablet would be a problem though as the power connector would be in the way of mounting it like that.

It does rotate and the arms will also stretch enough to hold my tablet (9.5") in portrait also. My tablet would be a problem though as the power connector would be in the way of mounting it like that.
You mean rotate by taking the tablet out and re-mounting it the other way? I think for this to be a useful feature, unless you're going to just leave it one way or the other, for switching back and forth I'd want a holder that has the rotation built in.

Here's a 13 second video I made showing the degrees of freedom (directions it can move and rotate) on mine.
https://flic.kr/p/2priG8P No narration, can leave your sound turned off.

Here's a pic showing the articulated arm I made out of heavy steel angle (just what I had handy; could be half as thick):

tablet arm from the back.jpg

I think you can make out that it's bolted to the square tube that holds my VFD, which in my basement, comes down from the cieiling, but this would work the same if bolted to the mill itself.

It doesn't adjust (translate) up and down, which I didn't have a use for, so I'm OK with that. It does rotate up/down, what you might call a "nod" adjustment. It's head height, and I leave it nodded down slightly so dust doesn't settle on it as much.

On the subject of power cords to the tablet, have you seen these?
USB U-turn.JPG

It makes the cable do a U-turn and go behind the tablet instead of sticking out where it's in danger of getting whacked.

The first one I bought (different brand) didn't work, but this one from ebay came as a 2-pack for $14.50 and free ship, and both of them work perfectly. I like it.

Back