Tailstock Quill Distortion

Have you done this? I would be afraid to use the power feed in case something jams.

The largest hole I have drilled using my carriage is about 1". I suppose most operations a person does represents a certain amount of trade offs: in this case carriage vs tailstock for drilling a good sized hole. The ability to provide power feed allows one to be steady - or feed by the hand wheel if you wish. It also provides a quick way of clearing chips. Obviously one is not going to spin the shank in the tailstock and damage the taper (or the slot / pin).

What if something jams? That is a potential with nearly every operation you perform on the lathe. Managing what might go wrong is one aspect of "machining". Bob K, above has shared good words to live by.

So, given a small lathe like mine, what would be a reasonable size to drill before going to boring?

Bob,

I like the idea of using a lathe dog on the bit and will have to get some dogs.

I am new to this machining stuff and don't know the right or best way to achieve an end goal. So given my experience and the size of my lathe what would be the best way / sequence to make large holes, in mild steel? Is using the toolpost the right place to mount drill bits? What maximum drill size before switching to boring? I have had problems getting a boring setup just right and find it easier to get it working when I start with a larger hole. Even with a 7/8" hole for boring start up it took me a few tries to get the tool undercut, height and angle just right. If there is a better way, I am all ears (well, eyes on the forum).

I seem to get rubbing and squealing quite often. I am starting to understand when something is not right and getting better at finding a cure but this will only come with more experience and helpful guidance from the only place I can get it, here on this forum.

RJ

Your description is good and I understand it. I will try joining the forum again. I have also tried to join Projects in Metal several times and cannot get on. They have a lot of G0602 info too.

It looks like my approach to making large holes may be wrong and there may not be a need for me to beef up the tailstock, at least not right away. I have a lot of other projects that need attention too.
If you use lathe dogs on your drills, grind a flat spot on the shank of the drill below the end of the flutes for the lathe dog set screw to bite into. When you want to use drill bits at the maximum possible size for the work and the machine, make sure the drill is in perfect working order, clean and dry Morse tapers without burrs and dings on the mating tapers (stone them down), properly ground with sharp cutting edges, equal cutting edge lengths and proper cutting and relief angles for the material you are drilling. You can use lathe dogs on Silver and Deming (1/2" shank) drills as well, mounted in a good drill chuck, but remember that the dog is taking a large percentage of the torque load, and make sure it is as solid a setup as you can make.

What is the biggest size? It depends, on many things. 6061-T6 aluminum is a totally different animal than hot rolled 4140 and some stainless steels. Tough metals are tough to machine, free machining metals are much more forgiving. The lathe also makes a big difference. What you can do on a 20" Monarch lathe is much different than what is possible on a small bench lathe, especially if it is well worn and loose as a goose. Rigidity is king, in machinery, tooling, and setups. Sharp tools make a big difference, too.

Import brazed carbide boring bars are often ground poorly, and the lower part of the carbide and the shank below can rub on the bore. Look for indications of rubbing. You can grind the steel below the the carbide pretty easily, but the carbide will need diamond grinding equipment to grind them properly. If you rotate a tool like that so the cutting edge meets the work at a slightly downward angle (negative rake), that often works OK and is an easy workaround if rubbing is an issue. Rotating the tool gives more relief against rubbing.

Edit: Watch out for good luck. Sometimes we can get away with doing something stupid for a long time before it bites us in the butt. But when it does, it can be expensive and can set back the confidence we have been building in what we are doing, making us gun shy and afraid to run the machine again, even possibly giving up the hobby entirely when something scary happens. When we are new to the hobby we need to be extra conservative with what we are willing to try. Study, learn, practice, talk to people with much more experience, and try not to do anything too stupid. We all do stupid stuff, but some of us learn from it, and work at avoiding problems in the future.

Last edited:
to the capacity of your chuck...1/2''

I'm with Tozguy on this one. If going larger actually distorts the guide groove on your lathe then use a smaller drill and bore from there. How big a drill? That depends on how slow your lathe can turn; big drill = lower speeds.

Many of us do not own lathes large enough or slow enough to use a big drill. Its okay, we can bore as big as we want as long as we have the right boring bars. Boring is far more accurate than drilling, provides better finishes and is pretty fast to do. A good bar will cut 4140 nearly as quickly as it will cut 6061 aluminum with the right insert. If I have a big hole to make I don't even think much about it - I'll drill to fit my 3/8 or 1/2" carbide boring bar and make the hole, provided it is within the reach of my bar (4-6" deep).

I understand that saying, "... learn to bore a hole ..." may sound flippant but I don't mean it that way. Boring is a lot more complicated to learn than drilling a hole but it is an operation well worth learning. Quite often, boring is not just the best option - it may be the only option.

I'm with Tozguy on this one. If going larger actually distorts the guide groove on your lathe then use a smaller drill and bore from there. How big a drill? That depends on how slow your lathe can turn; big drill = lower speeds.

Many of us do not own lathes large enough or slow enough to use a big drill. Its okay, we can bore as big as we want as long as we have the right boring bars. Boring is far more accurate than drilling, provides better finishes and is pretty fast to do. A good bar will cut 4140 nearly as quickly as it will cut 6061 aluminum with the right insert. If I have a big hole to make I don't even think much about it - I'll drill to fit my 3/8 or 1/2" carbide boring bar and make the hole, provided it is within the reach of my bar (4-6" deep).

I understand that saying, "... learn to bore a hole ..." may sound flippant but I don't mean it that way. Boring is a lot more complicated to learn than drilling a hole but it is an operation well worth learning. Quite often, boring is not just the best option - it may be the only option.

Thanks Mike, I'm all about learning new things and that is one reason I got a metal lathe and milling machine. I am really enjoying all of this new machining stuff. That is why I am asking these questions. I want to learn and I want to learn the best way to approach a task. I have enough inexperience (basically 2 or 3 tries) at boring to know that it is not as simple as it seems but then none of this machining stuff is. But I want to learn and I will succeed. I'm stubborn.;)

I have 2 sets of cheap chinese boring bars. A set of 3/8" and a set of 1/2". My first attempts at using them resulted in some problems. Bob pointed me in the right direction when he suggested I check for rubbing and that was the issue. So now I look for that and grind my boring tools to provide a much more pronounced undercut and I make sure they are sharp. I don't have a diamond wheel but I do have a green wheel and that seems to work OK. But I still have problems sometimes with getting things just right. To date I have probably only bored about 3 or 4 holes. I bored one today using a line boring setup I made (see the post in the POTD thread if your interested) and that went unexpectedly well but that doesn't count for lathe work.

When you use use your 3/8" boring bars, what size hole do you drill first?

Last edited:
Here is an modification to beef up the antirotation pin in the 602 tailstock. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/10x22grizzlyandthelike/conversations/topics/6258

RJ, I finally joined and checked out the tailstock improvement. I like it. Much better than the stock setup. After looking at the way the stock setup has a threaded screw pushing against the side of a slot, I can see why there is distortion on the quill when it is subjected to torque. It is much better to have that load spread out over a large area, than concentrated on the thin edge of a single thread. I thing I will do this.

I drill a 1/2" hole for my 3/8" bar and when I get it out to about 5/8" ID I switch to my 1/2" bar. Remember that a boring bar is limited by depth, not diameter.

As a lathe newbie I had much more experience drilling than boring. When a hole was needed I automatically thought 'drill' and proceeded to get larger and larger drills. It wasn't long before I realized that it was not about how big a drill I could afford, but about how much torque the chuck, the JT taper, the MT taper and the quill guide could safely take. As Bob has already mentioned it is about the limitations of the lathe and respecting the design. Running to the limit should only be a rare event. There are some work arounds and upgrades that can improve the experience of drilling but sooner or later you will need to bore something and the advantages of boring will become apparent. The cost of good boring tools is heavy up front but once you are equipped you will quickly reap the benefits.

For deep holes beyond the reach of boring, drilling should be managed the way single point cuts are with respect to width, depth of cut and feed rate. It may mean that you have to go slow, take smaller cuts and grind the drill to suit the material. With experience you will get a feel for how much of a cut your lathe handles best, without twisting or groaning.

Last edited:
To date I have probably only bored about 3 or 4 holes. I bored one today using a line boring setup I made (see the post in the POTD thread if your interested) and that went unexpectedly well but that doesn't count for lathe work.

I am interested in your line boring project but couldn't find it. May I ask you for a link to it?

Back