Tailstock Taper Turning Attachment

Harry Knutz

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello Guys,

How many of you have purchased and used one of these tools? I am thinking of buying one, Please give me your experiences, Thanks, HK

No on both accounts. It has no advantage over moving the tail stock off center. Also I have a taper
attachment so have no need for one. Not only that, it would have to maintain exact levelness with the lathe or risk
inherent errors.

No on both accounts. It has no advantage over moving the tail stock off center. Also I have a taper
attachment so have no need for one. Not only that, it would have to maintain exact levelness with the lathe or risk
inherent errors.
I hate moving my tailstock, And I don't have a taper attachment, I used to have a Southbend 13 with a Taper Attachment, But I no longer have it.

Use a boring head from your mill. Same function, get double duty!
I do have a couple of Criterion Boring heads, But they have an R8 Taper. I want to turn the contour of a barrel and I'm not sure those would work.

What keeps the attachment level? Does it rely on just the Morse taper?

inherent errors.
It is easier to adjust than moving the tailstock. Never had mine slip, though I have not used it a lot. For an extreme taper, (more than a couple of degrees, I would recommend a tracer or taper attachment.

Back