Tailstock Taper Turning Attachment

I made a Hemingway “set over center” or such. It’s a good design. The lathe tailstock center offset is too big a deal to mess with. If you do, It takes the two collar test to get down into tenths, and there is no need to repeat that often. Every taper is going to require it’s own setup, with indicators, probably trial cuts, etc, so the graduations are pretty meaningless.
You can calculate taper pretty easy, Mine is going to require an offset of 0.108

It looks like that hemingway is exactly like the one I just bought.

Last edited:
You can calculate taper pretty easy, Mine is going to require an offset of 0.108
Yes, easy to calculate, but it involves the length of the part. If that changes, or even if, say, the depth of center drilling varies slightly part to part, the taper will be inaccurate. Of course this applies with only tailstock offset as well.

Thank you for your insight, Looking at the tool I had also decided that I would use it with an indicator too. I went ahead and ordered one. It hadn't crossed my mind to use that for tailstock alignment, But that would definitely be a hack that sounds doable with this tool. Thank you for everyones input on this tool. HK
Here is a link to the last setup I did. Turning a dental taper (.25" per 12") between centers to use an orphaned Albrecht 1/4" chuck. You can see the indicator in the photo. I set it up to read movement / adjustment on the backside of the attachment.

When I made my boring bar holder I added two taped holes on one side for supports that could go down to the lathe bed to keep it from turning and to dial it in level. Not pretty but gets the job done.

IMG_20230118_100219.jpg

Back