Tailstock Tool Storage

Exactly. I make it a point to NEVER wear loose fitting/untucked/unbuttoned shirts. just a snug fitting tee shirt. And I can't imagine ever needing to reach for anything while the lathe is under power. Everyone has their own SOP.

Nice job. It should be obvious why your QC tool holders are upside down, but maybe not to everyone. I would like to think you would not need any of those items while the lathe was running. I don't see why there is a safety problem unless you are changing centers while the lathe is running and you are wearing a necktie like they used to do in factories. What I like is the note on your DRO with the tool height. I can tell you want to get things done.

Thank you sir! No neckties here, I'm a confirmed tee shirt guy. Those old photos make me cringe! Good eye on the tool height. Having the combo of going to a compound free/solid tool post coupled with a DRO has been a game changer. Once the tools are stored in the DRO library, it's a pretty safe bet to turn a part to diameter within .001"-.002" without having to even measure until it's done.

Thank you sir! No neckties here, I'm a confirmed tee shirt guy. Those old photos make me cringe! Good eye on the tool height. Having the combo of going to a compound free/solid tool post coupled with a DRO has been a game changer. Once the tools are stored in the DRO library, it's a pretty safe bet to turn a part to diameter within .001"-.002" without having to even measure until it's done.
Keith Fenner has, or had t-shirt hanging on the wall in his shop that was ripped off of his body by his lathe. So, don't let your guard down.

As much as clutter bugs me, rust bugs me more. I’m envious of you guys who all have your benchtop organizers. If I was to do that my tools would be covered in rust no matter what is sprayed on them.
I feel your pain C-Bag. No way I would leave tooling sitting in an open rack. Living in a high humidity area means high rust too. After a machining session, tooling gets cleaned, oiled and stored in a plastic bag in the tool storage. A real pain when you need to change tools but then I do hate rust.

I feel your pain C-Bag. No way I would leave tooling sitting in an open rack. Living in a high humidity area means high rust too. After a machining session, tooling gets cleaned, oiled and stored in a plastic bag in the tool storage. A real pain when you need to change tools but then I do hate rust.
Wow, I'm sure glad I don't have to worry about that. Rust is pretty much a non issue for me.

For sure. Never let your guard down.
Alternatively,

Put the guard down. Then the t-shirt wont' be able to fall into the spinning part, because the guard will be in the way.

This is completely unimportant I'm sure. But what is this thing I circled?

Attachments

• 7ACA05A5-2549-461A-9120-2EB2B30B7DA5.jpeg
    7ACA05A5-2549-461A-9120-2EB2B30B7DA5.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 17
This is completely unimportant I'm sure. But what is this thing I circled?
Looks like a DTI holder to me. I searched online for the actual name & looks like they're called a snug swivel & holder arm. I had no idea & never heard that before. I've got 3 of them & have never used them once. :)

20210717_191537.jpg

Back