[How do I?] Tapping 1.6mm thread in Grade 2 Titanium

Wow. Well both materials end in "um", so easy mistake...as does Unobtainium, scrapbinium, and a few other "exotic " materials. Maybe they sell it as the high performance version? Wonder if the mass/stiffness will change the tone of the instrument. Let us know how it goes so the group TI knowledge base can grow.

Originally traditional concertina reed frames were made from brass, but changed in the 1950s to aluminium to save weight (Titanium is even lighter) and some of the "purists" think that the tone has suffered as a result. I am looking forward to getting this set of reeds finished and hear for myself. I will report back what I find.

Mike

Grade 2 titanium is not as tough(or strong) as Grade 5. It also doesn't work harden as severely, making drilling and tapping less challenging.

If you're sure its Grade 2, I'd suggest using a form tap instead of a cutting tap. Form taps are significantly stronger than cutting taps as there are no flutes to weaken the shank. I wouldn't try this in Grade 5, but for Gr2 it should work very well.

You will need to drill the holes out using the appropriate form-tap size (1.45mm) as they require a larger hole than cutting taps do (1.25mm). Shouldn't take but a few minutes to poke out the holes with a stiff machine-screw length drill. Buy 2 or 3 drills in 1.45mm and poke out all the holes before running the form tap.

You'also want to chamfer the hole entry point after drilling to give the form tap an easier start. You should also consider chamfering the back-side after drilling so there isn't a burr raised after the form tap displaces the metal.

OSG has TiCn and Tin coated form taps for about $20 on Amazon and through MSC. I'd also suggest looking for PCB drills on Amazon - you can get a 6-pack of carbide 1.45 PCB drills pretty cheap. Also get a tub of high-quality tapping paste (Anchor lube). Those OSG taps will last through the entire run of parts, and I'd figure the drills should do 20ish holes before you should replace them as the margins will start to get a bit worn or chipped.

Thank you for the advice. I have ordered 6 PCB drills and am looking for the form taps. There aren't many suppliers for them in Europe, but there are a couple of companies in Germany who supply TiN coated taps. Still looking for Anchor lube.

Mike

Anchorlube isn't a requirement. Just look for a high-quality tapping paste/gel - it stays put better than oils. The only benefit to oils are that when you blow off the tap after a hole the oils help carry the chips away whereas paste may hold chips. In this case, form taps don't make chips - they just make a slight 'dust' which you can see as a bit of discoloration of the oil/paste.

Back