Teardown & painting a SB9A

martik777,
I did not take apart the spindle or headstock yet, so the spring clip is not from there. I am having some trouble with the gear box, the keyway in the main shaft got some damage so I am working to fix it. This job is taking too long.
Paul

I have been working off and on for a couple of days now, put the main shaft gears together and the gears would not turn by hand, thats what happened when I first got the lathe. I took it apart and had to polish everything up on the shaft and gears, now it works smooth. The other two shafts were the same. And now everything is together and painted on the gear box, boy that took awile to get it right. After I took the picture I touched up the paint a little and now it is done finally. Next I took off the reverse gear assembly and started cleaning that up. I can't wait until it's done. I am learning way too much on this lathe, more than I wanted too. More pics too come later and maybe a book deal LOL.
Paul

Another part cleaned up and ready for paint, the reverse gear assembly. I guess the next part is the headstock, I wonder what kind of problems I could find there. I hope all this painting and cleaning will help stop the rust for a long time.
Paul

MARTIK,
I did a quick test some weeks ago and it barely moved, maybe a few thousands, don't remember now, but it seemed good at the time. I just started to remove the spindle tonight. I just moved it a little then quit for today. Will do it tuesday as long as the wife does not find anything else for me to do. I still have a lot of work ahead of me.
Paul

Another day in the life of my SB9A. Today I removed my spindle and started to clean everything to get it ready to paint, close to getting it done, I hope to get it put back together wed., then start on the bed. The headstock is about half done as of today. More to come later.

Change of plans today, I decided to work on the bed first, then while that paint was drying I would work on the headstock. I used purple power anti rust on the bed, thats why the brown cast in the pic. I wiped the brown dust off as per directions then painted.
Almost done with everything, ready to put all back together soon. I still have to do some touch up later on the bed, that was a quick first coat.
Paul

It's looking good Paul,,,, maybe I'll have to hire you to do my other machines ;D. I'll get those oilers for you next week as I'll be spending some time over at the warehouse.

Thanks Doug,
It is not show room quality, but is pretty decent for how much rust was on it. It's the first lathe I redid, most of my life I have done steel mill equipment, re-design and worked on, so this is small. Maybe one day I will design a lathe that will be better than the ones out there. I have re-designed ways on a refractory machine that always is moving back and forth with grit thrown all over it, and it will most likely outlast the machine. I would have to make a new bed and saddle for my method to work. I guess I need more equipment.
Paul

Thanks Jim B.,
Is the dim's for a SB9A which I have or for something else? Does it also have a pin to insert into the threaded collar? I did not like that fiber washer anyway.
Thanks,
Paul

Back