Tell Me The Advantages of 6 Jaw Lathe Chuck

You can use 2jaws or 3jaws or 4 or 6 , if it has two piece jaws you can make soft jaws for odd shapes too. I have one and love mine even tho mines solid jaws. Really get a lot of doubters about them I for one have never had a problem with mine. And I have used it in some combinations to do different things. The only chuck I'd like to have is the two way four jaw independent and scroll combined . But there beyond my reach .

Mike,

Get a set thru 6J, you wont regret it. Love mine. When I am lazy to set up the spider finger clamp I use the 6 inch set thru 6J to thread the muzzle on AR barrels, never had slippage even on polished surface and no marring on surfaces.

On the 6 inch Gator I replaced the jack set screws with flange bolts so I can use a socket and a ratchet.

The 8 inch Bison sits naturally on the SBL 13, it was a little too big for the 1236. It over current the HY VFD when spun at max speed.

20170703_180043.jpg 20170709_215617.jpg

you have a very good point there JPigg!
here's mud in your eye! :beer:

thanks you guys, i'm glad that i asked the question!!!
i'll be getting a new 6J chuck very soon :grin::grin::grin:

Mike, now that you have some excellent info from this thread, looks like its catalyzed a sizable opening of your wallet!

Meanwhile one quick question for you for me to gain some perspective. I noticed you have a 5C setup. Is your desire for a 6 jaw driven in part by work on thin wall tubing greater in OD than the 5C collet capacity?

BTW, thanks for starting this thread - good insights shared here.

Mike, now that you have some excellent info from this thread, looks like its catalyzed a sizable opening of your wallet!
Meanwhile one quick question for you for me to gain some perspective. I noticed you have a 5C setup. Is your desire for a 6 jaw driven in part by work on thin wall tubing greater in OD than the 5C collet capacity?
BTW, thanks for starting this thread - good insights shared here.
Hi Alan,
thanks for reading and commenting.
yes Alan, i have 5c collets but the tubing will range from 1-1/2" to 3" in diameter
i suppose i could figure other ways of holding the work, but convenience may just take over to save valuable time.
i'll post pix when i get the chuck!

Thanks Mike, makes sense.

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

Back