Tepramental and Idiosyncratic Chain saw @GRRRRR.com

More motors ? ;) I have a garage full of things to get running again . 3 Honda 400 ex's , 3 expensive chainsaws , a couple of Echo straight shaft trimmers etc . I find I just buy new ones and these sit until I can get a round tuit . ( I think they sell them on the bay ) :big grin:

I bought three dozen, but they got lost in my mess of a workbench(es) as soon as I unpacked them. :cool 2:

The flywheel key shouldn’t matter much. I have built saws without them so that I can advance the timing, the clean taper holds the flywheel in position. If it can only move a little, it will simply advance or retard timing by a degree or two.

Many difficult to diagnose issues with 2 cycle engines stem from leaks on the lower end, specifically crank seals leaking.

I don't know if this is your issue but when you have exhausted all fuel and ignition areas of troubleshooting, crank seals, or a leaking crankcase is often the problem. It's relatively hard to verify since you need to build intake and exhaust blanks and do a leak down test of the whole engine. One quick check is if you can squirt a little carb cleaner right at the crank seal in question while the engine is running and it revs That's pretty much a give away but it can be hard to do.

John

I'm wondering if anyone here had disassembled a Stihl 028 WB. Does it have a reed valve?

Almost all of these engines are piston ported and don't have reed valves.

Joe

My old Homelite saws both had reed valves. The reed stress cracked on the Homelite XL, causing poor performance. However, looking at a parts diagram for the Stihl 028, it doesn't appear to have a reed valve.

Many difficult to diagnose issues with 2 cycle engines stem from leaks on the lower end, specifically crank seals leaking.
After replacing all electronics , first with used parts, then with new replacement parts on my 1982 Husky 266, I took my saw to a friend . Even though an amateur he diagnosed it as a leaky cank seal. It still is one of the best gas powered tools I have owned.
Face

having worked on hundreds of 2 cycle engines most electrical problems are normally fuel problems,, I do have a 028WB that I bought new in the late 80's, it has always been my go to saw,, over the years I rebuilt the carb once, cleaned the muffler twice, replaced the fuel tank internals,, always start a repair checking things from the outside inward,, the saw is on its second bar and sits at the ready for fast service.. always try to use alcohol free fuel, don't leave fuel in the tank for extended periods.. I live in a wooded neighborhood of large lots,, always figure I'll be one of the people clearing the path to the main road after a bad weather event, two hurricanes and one major ice storm so far ,PS the brass strip contact switch was not the best design, I replaced mine once and keep a spare in the case..

Attachments

• IMGP0049.JPG
    IMGP0049.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back