The 30 yr break is over for this 745.

tha is a very nice machine! Well got!

+1 on way lube for the ways. it is not as expensive as using the wrong lube.

A few additional comments. With your left arm/hand impaired, you should consider adding a power drawbar actuator to your mill. Manual operation of the drawbar is a two hand, overhead process and not a lot of fun for the most able bodied.

I don't remember if you mentioned adding a modern DRO to your mill. If you're not sure about it, don't do it right away. When you finally add a DRO, you'll wish you had done it on day one.

Regarding the one-shot lube system, while you have the machine apart and after you get the Vactra 2, be sure that all lines and metering orifices are open and flowing as they should be. The concern is congealing of the 30 year old lubricant, as you have found elsewhere. The pump will need cleaning and maybe a rebuild. Bijur is a common brand (I don't know if your is a Bijur) and I've read that they still provide service kits for pretty old units.

Just for fun, keep track of the $$$$ you spend on the mill and accessories over the next 12 months. If you have the budget, the $600 entry fee will be a minor factor. Enjoy. :laughing:

Last edited:
The oil being a substitute would not bother me. There are similar oils made by different companies. The important part is its viscosity, and stickiness (or ablility to hang onto the surface).

So I went back and read threw the emails that I have concerning the Ways oil and Vactra #2.

Vactra #2 is a ISO VG 68 oil. As is the Fram AW-68 oil, It is also a ISO VG 68 oil. They are both technically considered a "hydraulic oil" Fram just doesn't label there containers "Ways oil" because its more commonly used as Hydraulic oil. According to the technical support team that markets the Fram oil.

So if I've been told wrong information by the manufacturer you wouldn't think it would match up like it does. But hey, Anything is possible today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220116-161655_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220116-161655_Google.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 20
So I went back and read threw the emails that I have concerning the Ways oil and Vactra #2.

Vactra #2 is a ISO VG 68 oil. As is the Fram AW-68 oil, It is also a ISO VG 68 oil. They are both technically considered a "hydraulic oil" Fram just doesn't label there containers "Ways oil" because its more commonly used as Hydraulic oil. According to the technical support team that markets the Fram oil.

So if I've been told wrong information by the manufacturer you wouldn't think it would match up like it does. But hey, Anything is possible today.
again, same oil.
As far as Fram, I would not use their Oil Filters.. I have watched a couple of videos comparing oil filters. They are cheap junk.. not much filter paper, and carboard bases that seem to not be glued to the paper well. they fail horribly.

But the oil, I don't think there is a problem, I doubt they make it, they probably rebrand it.

You got a great mill, much stouter than a BP. Even with the spindle regrind and incidentals you are still well under the value of the machine. The R8 conversion will give you access to much more tooling at reasonable prices. In addition, it will be a much easier sell when the time comes. If it were mine I would definitely do it.

Pulling the spindle and getting it reground seems like a lot of work and expense to me. A brief search turned up B&S 9 collets on ebay. I can't vouch for their quality, but personally I'd give them try before getting the spindle reground.

A few additional comments. With your left arm/hand impaired, you should consider adding a power drawbar actuator to your mill. Manual operation of the drawbar is a two hand, overhead process and not a lot of fun for the most able bodied.

I don't remember if you mentioned adding a modern DRO to your mill. If you're not sure about it, don't do it right away. When you finally add a DRO, you'll wish you had done it on day one.

Regarding the one-shot lube system, while you have the machine apart and after you get the Vactra 2, be sure that all lines and metering orifices are open and flowing as they should be. The concern is congealing of the 30 year old lubricant, as you have found elsewhere. The pump will need cleaning and maybe a rebuild. Bijur is a common brand (I don't know if your is a Bijur) and I've read that they still provide service kits for pretty old units.

Just for fun, keep track of the $$$$ you spend on the mill and accessories over the next 12 months. If you have the budget, the $600 entry fee will be a minor factor. Enjoy. :laughing:
Yes Sir, You've touched on a few other things that are possibly inspired for this project. Not in any certain order of importance, lol.

The power draw bar is definitely something that's caught my eye and attention. And I have actually located a used one that just needs the air actuator rebuilt. And im looking into seeing if that's worth the cost of purchasing and if the parts are available. Kind of like a project within a project.

DRO: So the gentleman I purchased my Darsin lathe from (Used Machinery dealer) Told me about a set of "X&Y" DRO that he's been selling for almost 2 yrs now. And has been using them on all of his Bridgeport rebuilds if the buyer wants a DRO installed. Off the top of my head I can't remember the name of them (Another side effect from the accident. Concussions/Head injuries are not something id just ignore thinking "Ahh, it will get better in time" No, thats not always the case.)
However the DRO is LCD screen and comes in a kit. And my mill is listed as one that the kit works well on. With little to no customization. And wasn't out side of my budget. Just something that wasn't priority at the moment yet.

As for the "One shot" Lube system. Yes it is a "BiJur" system (see photos) And during my Covid-19 vacation (lol) I contacted my Machinery sale guy and asked him what he knew about servicing the unit. And that wasn't hard at all. There wasn't much oil in the reservoir. And it actually was as clean as the new oil I replaced it with. And after checking all the fitting to be sure we had oil at them all. There was only one stand out that wasn't with the program. And lucky (something that I seldom get) It was thevone on the left front of the saddle. And it just needed tightened up. And then he joined the rest of his team working as if it was new.

Attachments

• 20220117_011304.jpg
    20220117_011304.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220117_011308.jpg
    20220117_011308.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220117_011342.jpg
    20220117_011342.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 16
You got a great mill, much stouter than a BP. Even with the spindle regrind and incidentals you are still well under the value of the machine. The R8 conversion will give you access to much more tooling at reasonable prices. In addition, it will be a much easier sell when the time comes. If it were mine I would definitely do it.
Yes Sir that was my thoughts on the conversation to R-8. Adding in the fact that I went to a local Auction last summer where there was a older Bridgeport and a 14" Rockwell lathe. And as typical auctions go, they sell everything separately. And the buyers of each machine where not paying attention and distracted over there new purchases and misses out on the tooling that sold. Let's just say, it pays to know how your local auctioneers run there sales. Because this gentleman is not one that likes to sell stuff like tooling one piece at a time. There where several (3) smaller office paper size boxes and 4 full sized plastic laundry baskets that had everything from lathe tooling to Vertical mill tooling and cutters. And im taking the laundry baskets where to heavy for one man with 2 good working arms to carry. And he asked for a opening bid on all of it, Or he was going to sell it box by box and basket by basket. I said how's $200.00 sound as a starting bid? And the 3 other guys that looked remotely interested never said a peep and he said "Sold,Buyer #14, Next item" And that was my Rockwell vertical steel cutting band saw. That I paid $75.00 for because the plug had been removed/damaged and someone said it was a 3 phase motor. And when that was said everyone practically ran away from it.

So im deep pretty deep in tooling. There was a complete set of R-8 spindles from 1/4"- 1". And several drill chucks on R-8 spindles. And the best find in one of the boxes was the tail stock for the lathe. Which the new owner asked me if I'd be interested in selling. Which I did, and the 3 Morse Taper centers that where with it for $50.00. I figured that was a pretty fare price. The gentleman that owned all of this stuff sure was a fan of the Niagara cutters line. Or he had a connection with the sales man of some sort. Because I'd say nearly half of the end mills and cutting tools are of that manufacturer. And a significantly amount of it was still what appeared to un used. And I counted 9 different face mills from 1" all they way to 6" with the carbide replaceable teeth, All on R-8 spindles. And then there's the Taps and dies. Where do I start?? I spent a weekend sorting and putting these tools in order so when you need a 1/4"-20 tap you aren't digging threw a box with 300+ others to find it. So I think I've got the tooling thing somewhat covered. But as we all know, Do we ever really have everything you'll ever need??? Thats not my luck. LoL. The picture was about 25% of all of it. And the larger stuff which some I sold/traded to my buddy that paints and cerakotes (and does some gun smithing) on firearms.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220117-022019_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220117-022019_Photos.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 20

I think you are missing the point. That both Fram AW-68 and Vactra 2 are VG 68 is not the same as defining them as interchangeable. The VG stands for Viscosity Grade. That definition is in BOLD print in the screenshot you posted. Viscosity is only one, of many characteristics of a lubricant.
If I were a tribology expert, I might describe numerous characteristic in excruciating detail. However, I'm not a tribology expert so I only share what information I believe and hope will be useful. AW-68 hydraulic oil is not the same as Vactra 2 way oil.

Last edited:
Back