The frustrating hunt for machines

I think you not only need to broaden your physical search area, but also the brands and sizes of machines you are looking for. The ones you've mentioned so far are at the top of every hobby machinists list and therefore are harder to find and more expensive.

Personally when looking for a certain type of machine first on my list is condition, second is price, and third is location. Most of the machines in my shop are not the most recognizable brands, but they are all in excellent condition, and have needed few if any repairs or improvements over the years. I looked for over 2 years for a vertical mill before finding one that was acceptable. Originally I was looking for a Tree brand machine. We had several at work and they worked day in and day out with almost no problems whatsoever. During that time I found several machines, but like you I found them to be either too expensive, or in such poor shape they would cost more to refurbish than I was willing to spend.

At a little over the 2 year mark I ran across a Bridgeport J2J. It was way down on my list of machines, but was in good shape at a good price. I made the leap and have never looked back. In the 20 or so years I've had the machine I haven't had to put $500.00 into it for repairs or upgrades. I've probably spent triple that amount or more on tooling. The truth be known I probably have more money in tooling than the machine itself.

Other machines in the shop include a Startrite H175 horizontal bandsaw, a Sanford MG surface grinder, a Seneca Falls Star #20 lathe, a US Machine Tools horizontal mill, a Racine 66W2 power hacksaw, and a Sheldon MW-56-P lathe. There are many other machines in the shop, but very few people are interested in or have ever heard of most of these brands of machine tools. As such they were in excellent condition and came at bargain prices.

Like you I have my shop in the basement. Each and every one of the machines were disassembled in the garage, cleaned, hauled down the stairs piece by piece, and reassembled. The only 2 machines that required any assistance were the Sheldon Lathe and the Bridgeport mill. The column on the mill weighs a bit over 1,000 lbs., and the headstock cabinet for the Sheldon weighs about the same. I hired a local moving company to take those 2 pieces from the garage, through the house, and down the stairs to the shop. Other than that I carried everything else over the same path by myself using an appliance dolly.

I helps a lot to establish a network within the machining community when looking for machines. You might want to visit a few small shops in your area and tell them what you're looking for. Leave them a business card. Over time it's possible they or someone they know will be interested in selling a machine. Most machines coming out of small shops aren't something high production shops would be interested. As such most of these machines go to the hobbyists, or scrappers.

I forgot to mention in my previous post another good source for machine tools is government or military auctions.

I can feel your pain, never should have sold that Gorton 1-22 but i couldn't figure out a way to fit it into my garage with wife's and mom's cars:(

I still have my old Seneca Falls Star 9x5 lathe that I've spent the winter fixing up but now I know it's limitations. Been looking for a small vertical mill but good ones are like finding hen's teeth and it's hard to justify spending $3k on something you know will need work.

The auctions and dealers mostly have huge machines, or if anything our size is available it looks all beat to heck. You really need to know how to evaluate machines like that unless you're paying scrap prices, even at that when you factor in moving it you might still get burned. It starts to make sense to just go with a new import machine from somebody like Grizzly or PM.

I've gotten to the point where I'm going to try making my own mill/drill from pieces I've sourced cheap. It might not ever work right but at least I'll learn something along the way.

There's definitely some gems out there, probably mostly owned by folks on a forum like this one. You definitely want the tool that a retired tool maker used in their hobby shop and comes with a bunch of knowledge along with tooling. I figure if I wait long enough there will be a guy just down the road from me who realizes it's time to liquidate his personal stash and maybe I'll even get setup help/instruction in the deal.

Cheers,

John

Not sure if you're aware of Lost Creek Machine in Ottawa, IL.

You could also try following Mr. Pete around (he lives in Streator). He's always finding good deals at local auctions!
Yeah, I have talked to MrPete a bit, need to get back in touch with him. I was unaware of Lost Creek Machine, I will definitely have to stop by. They have a Clausing 8530 and they deliver.

There currently is a Sheldon lathe for sale on OWWM.org located in St. Lousi, MO. You have to join in order to see the Classified Forums. Another place to look is http://vintagemachinery.org/classifieds/ads.aspx.

I have had success in putting a Craigslist “Wanted to buy add” under their tools for sale section. I will usually list what I am looking for and may also include some generic pictures.

Good luck,

Harry

I picked up an early to mid 80's jet 1325 from Tiawan for $1k, the machine is real clean, I am upgrading it to an aloris bxa qctp, Newall DRO, lever 5c collet closer, I still need to get a 4 jaw and a face plate, it is set up for 220 and its a shorter lathe and most work I am planning on doing is within 6" of the spindle. Someday I will get going on scraping in my rockwell 11x36, it has every option and then some and will get the Newall DRO also. It was wore out, but I was able to get a new bed for it and a new QC gear box. I still have a few metric transposing gears to get but now I just need to force myself to clean it up and get it rebuilt. Tim

...by the time I could get there someone else has shown up with cash and taken it...

When you get serious about buying a machine you will have your cash already set aside and will be ready to pounce on a deal when it presents itself. Waiting around for a more opportune time to go look at it is not how it's done.

Here are some CL listings for your area. I use the CL/eBay/Amazon search engine www.searchtempest.com. Plug in your zip code, price range, distance you're willing to drive and your search key words.

Hang in there and something will show up. I'd been looking on and off for 5 years for a Bridgeport when a nice one showed up 30 miles away. New gets you what you want now, but as you mention the net is dollars leaving the US and heading to China. That being said, I have a Clausing lathe that was made in Kalamazoo, MI and a Grizzly from China. I have no complaints about either lathe.

Bruce

https://quadcities.craigslist.org/tls/d/orion-10x24-clausing-metal-lathe/6868314547.html
https://springfield.craigslist.org/tls/d/ionia-jet-13x40-metal-lathe/6864507437.html
https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tls/d/nashville-lathe/6863696960.html
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/d/alma-metal-lathe/6863397710.html
https://springfield.craigslist.org/tls/d/seymour-metal-lathe-with-stand/6850779072.html
https://springfield.craigslist.org/tls/d/springfield-10x30-metal-lathe/6833553362.html

When you get serious about buying a machine you will have your cash already set aside and will be ready to pounce on a deal when it presents itself. Waiting around for a more opportune time to go look at it is not how it's done.
Oh, I have the cash. Even told a guy I was on the way to pick up a machine in Wisconsin on the phone. I saw it at noon on lunch and it was the third one on the page so hadn't been up long, called the guy said I wanted it, called my boss and took a half day off, called the guy back and said I was on the way and would be there in 4 hours, loaded up the tool box and started driving. Hit the bank on the way out of town and took out $2,000. It was a very nice SB10 with all the original accessories and a bunch of tooling including the milling adapter QCTP and collet chuck for $1,900. It wasn't pristine but it had obviously been taken care of. Guy said he had bought it in the 70's and had used it in the farm shop until he retired in the 90's and then it had set in the shed since unused.

Got 2 hours from home and got the call from him another guy showed up and gave him $200 more for the machine than he was asking when he told him it was already sold to me.

That is a pretty rare thing to happen. That sucks. But it’s not common. You’ll get more chances. The good news is that you now have the cash in hand.

Back