[4]

The Fun Never Stops.

• Thread starter Deleted member 18150
  • Start date
[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
D

Deleted member 18150

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
We have to take the body off and replace both floor pans. That means I'v got to think in metric for the next week or so. Well somebody's got to do it and it might as well be me.
*****G****

Last edited by a moderator:

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
oooo, my head hurts already!!:faint:

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Don't be surprised if there is a small press shop somewhere re-popping those floor pans. I know I can buy any floor pan for any post war Studebaker.

D

Deleted member 18150

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I already got the floor pans so thats not the problem I'm more concerned about all the 36 year old nuts and bolts that hold the body on. I'v sprayed a whole can of PB blaster on all the ones I can find but I'm sure thats their is more that I can't see yet.So it looks like I'll be spending a lot of time over on U-Tube and surfing the Interweb searching for the answers.
Lord knows I love a challenge but I figured that I would catch a break after working on the Land Train.
***********Just Saying***************************G*********************cartangrysj1.gif***********************

T Bredehoft

Active User
36 year old nuts and bolts

I'd use the blue wrench, no point in salvaging the old ones.

jpfabricator

Active User
If my memory serves correct, there are 17 bolts down each side. That was near 20 years ago, and the body was being scrapped.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas JP

D

Deleted member 18150

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Well I got the interior striped out and there was a lot more rust then expected .So instead of patching it I will replace both floor pans whole. All the body bolts came out with no problems.
Too hot to finish today.Will lift the body off tomorrow if it don't rain.Pictures of progress to follow.79 supper bug 008.jpg 79 supper bug 011.jpg
Seems like VW folks only used two size bolts. 13mm or 17mm sure makes my life easier.
**********JADIP****************G*******************************************************************

brav65

Active User
Hey Gator, that looks great, my first car was a VW Bug. I owned it before I even got my license. My brother and I took 3 cars and scrounged the best off of each one to make one "usable" car. We could pull the little 1600cc motor out rebuild almost the whole thing, and put it back in the car in under a day. They are very simple cars to work on. Good luck on the project!

D

Deleted member 18150

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Somewhere in Germany there is a VW line worker laughing his butt off. This person puttied over two 17mm bolts then painted over them so you can't see them. That cost me 2 hours and a headache .So I read the manual again and it said" Sometimes" there are bolts in this location.Well it was time to break out the air chisel and go to town.That's when it happened the "Ah Hah" moment. I found them.Breaker bar to get them loose and air impact to take them out.Jack up the car from under the motor put jack stands under the bumper and lower the jack."WA LA" the body stays up in the air and the chaise{SP} drops to the ground.
Thats enough for me today I'll take pictures of the "sometime" bolts tomorrow.
About the only virtue I have left is paychants :SP" and I was close to breaking out the smoke wrench.
Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.
********Shaking The Bush Over Here Boss"*****************G****************:bash computer:************

kvt

Active User
Smile, Have Fun, yea right. I always say they should make all the people that design cars work on them for a few years before they design them then they would not hide bolts, and make things easy to get to. It is always that one little bolt or nut in an out of the way place, and oh it is not listed in any book.

jpfabricator

Active User
I removed a timing cover from a v-6 one time with a hidden bolt. A teenage temper, and brute strength cost me a whole weeks pay to buy another timing cover. :oops:

Sent from somewhere in East Texas JP

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
i had a 69' single port beetle, i beat that poor car relentlessly, then after a motor went bad(blew up).
i Hadda get a motor, of course stock was not for me, there were many, many paychecks spent "upgrading" a crate motor.
my idea of a good time was racing Mustangs and Camaros just to see their expression when i was door to door with them,(or better)
they never could believe it , i'd just laugh.
i used to pray for rain so i could go out and drift the old bug like i was a professional stuntman, or so i believed at the time.
man that was a lot of fun, trying to get it out of shape only to bring it back from assured destruction...
did i mention, i'm a little Kooky when it comes to Horsepower and things with 2 or more wheels???:eek:

brav65

Active User
i had a 69' single port beetle, i beat that poor car relentlessly, then after a motor went bad(blew up).
i Hadda get a motor, of course stock was not for me, there were many, many paychecks spent "upgrading" a crate motor.
my idea of a good time was racing Mustangs and Camaros just to see their expression when i was door to door with them,(or better)
they never could believe it , i'd just laugh.
i used to pray for rain so i could go out and drift the old bug like i was a professional stuntman, or so i believed at the time.
man that was a lot of fun, trying to get it out of shape only to bring it back from assured destruction...
did i mention, i'm a little Kooky when it comes to Horsepower and things with 2 or more wheels???:eek:
Hey Mike that reminds me of when we would go "banking", which involved driving down a one lane road with snow banks over the roof of the car and bouncing from one side to the other, lots of fun when your 17 and bullet proof. It was all fun until one night my buddy busted through a snow bank and we dropped 6 feet into a field in his dad's Toyota Land Cruiser. It all came home the next morning when his dat went to change a mysterious flat tire and he could not jack up the car because the frame was broken. Lots of young men looking at the ground and shrugging their shoulders...sorry for the thread hijack Gator!

nopriors

Registered
I fail to see the problem here. Looks like my old bug and ran just fine.:encourage:

D

Deleted member 18150

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Three day weekend is done and it's back to work.
As promised pictures of the "Some" hidden bolts.
79 supper bug 019.jpg
Found two bolts under some body putty that had been painted over.

Had a little trouble with the AC lines as they ran them sort of haphazardly from the motor to the front blower box.
We got the back lifted up but it started to rain so will finish body off tomorrow.
With the body off we will be able to replace both whole floor pans instead of patching it in.
79 supper bug 018.jpg More progress tomorrow.
1sm213sharepopcorn.gif
****************JADIP**************************G********************cartangrysj1.gif***************************

D

Deleted member 18150

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Well it turns out that the 1979 super beetle is way more complex then it's earlier models. With AC {It's a convertible } and fuel injection and a on board PCM {Brain Box} there is three times the number of wires and hose running in and out of the body and frame. All the extra stuff slowed down the process but we did get it half way done.
79 supper bug 023.jpg 79 supper bug 025.jpg
Tomorrow
I will drill some holes in some 1"x 1" angel to hold the struts up straight and roll it the rest of the way out.
Leave it to me to hornets.gif
***********************************JADIP**********************G**************************************

D

Deleted member 20190

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
That 4x4 under the front of the body has a nice curve to it. Ooops, on second thought it's just fine, I must be looking at it funny. :big grin:

D

Deleted member 18150

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Yea those wet PT 4x4's do got a little give to them but there only holding up a few hundred pounds.Since it's a convertible I got to put another truss brace under the doors when I get the frame out or it will bend in the middle and the doors won't close. With no hard roof on her the only thing holding it straight are the heater tubes. Don't ask how I learned that lesson.
**********G***********

D

Deleted member 18150

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I made some head way today.After much trail and error I found the best way to separate the floor pan from the frame. Air chisel with the tool edge ground to 30 degrees top and bottom. Cuts thru the spot welds real quick. I got enough done to dry fire the new floor pan in . A little more cutting and fitting and this side will be done.
79 super beetle 017.jpg 79 super beetle 020.jpg
*********STBOHB***************************Gator*******cartangrysj1.gif*************************************

kvt

Active User
looking good, I thought that they actually made a chisel that went on the air hammers that as for Spot welds. Looked like a thin fork with the v in the middle all sharpened to a specific angle. come to think of it, I'm not sure if it was one my father made, or if it was factory made. Oh, How much weight is on that 4x4, it looks like it could break without much more force. Again looking nice

D

Deleted member 18150

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
The rain let up enough so I could get the drivers side cut out and the new pan fit in.....So all thats left is to spot weld them in and roll the frame back under the body and fit them together again.....Then we will strip the body down and get her ready for paint......
79 super beetle 001.jpg 79 super beetle 002.jpg 79 super beetle 003.jpg
***********JADIP*****************Gator********************cartangrysj1.gif**************************************

kvt

Active User
looking better. Any problems with the throttle and clutch linkage. an stuff. I know they get messed up at times also. I'd replace all of that that I could before the body goes back on. I think it is a little easier. More access. etc.

D

Deleted member 18150

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Thanks for the tip I'll check that out before it goes back together.
***G***

brav65

Active User
Looking good Gator. Here in AZ there is no rust just dry rot on anything rubber or vinyl.

A

Andre

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Looking good so far. If the pattern on the shift knob represents the gears, it's certainly a change from the newer H-pattern manuals.

iron man

Active User
Registered
VW's are an H pattern just like most cars the printing on the knob is just a little off center.

Nice job I have done this a couple time's fun little car. Ray

D

Deleted member 18150

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
At last I'm back on this project. Between the rain and the holiday and some household emergences I found some time to hit it a lick.
Cut and fit the new floor pans then took them off and drilled holes every 4" OC to spot weld to the frame then ground the paint and rust off the mating surfaces. I got my friend Andy to weld it and Uncle Jack to stand on it to hold it down. Pictures to follow.
79 Super Beetle 004.jpg 79 Super Beetle 010.jpg 79 Super Beetle 014.jpg 79 Super Beetle 012.jpg
Some seam sealer and undercoating and I will be ready to put the body back on.
************STBOHB**************************Gator*********************cartangrysj1.gif**************

brav65

Active User
Andy looks like a brave man under that sagging piece of lumber holding up the body off the chassis.

[5] [7]