The Fun Never Stops.

looking good, I thought that they actually made a chisel that went on the air hammers that as for Spot welds. Looked like a thin fork with the v in the middle all sharpened to a specific angle. come to think of it, I'm not sure if it was one my father made, or if it was factory made. Oh, How much weight is on that 4x4, it looks like it could break without much more force. Again looking nice

they do make one like that, but not always easy to get hold of espec over here.

nice work on the bug.

oh my goodness, you're a braver man than I am. I wouldn't touch any old VW with a very long pole, especially after how much money people I've known have thrown at them. There are mechanics and shops in every country these were sold in that earn a living just from bug and campervan fans throwing money (alot) at them. At least you can do all that stuff yourself!

Now old motorbikes like the R60/65/70 or a Honda 750 on the other hand..

Matt,
It's a customers bug not mine . Guess I'll be the one catching all that money they are going to throw .:blues:
*************STBOHB*********************Gator**********************

ah, that's better! Time to start looking for small islands to buy :) (love the Blues Brothers emoticon by the way). A quick question - on the front suspension, is that single swing arm at the bottom the only suspension member? Or is that sway bar looking thing at the front a locating arm as well?

Made some more head way this morning. Wire brushed all the spot welds and coated them with rust preventing black primer then aplyed some seam sealer {The gray stuff in the picture}
79 Super Beetle 015.jpg
When that cured {30 minutes} then I sprayed some truck bed liner on the pans.
79 Super Beetle 023.jpg
Then I cut the rubber seal that goes around the outside that the body sits on.
79 Super Beetle 024.jpg
To hot out there to glue it down and cut the bolt holes today so that job will get done in the am.

Matt that bar in the front is a sway bar. The tie rod is still with the body. Those McPhearson struts do all the work but there is one ball joint under the struts that is on the end of swing arm.
If all goes well by Saturday the body should be back on the frame.Weather permitting.
****Shaking the bush over here boss**********G******************cartangrysj1.gif**********

The floor is done. So now to fit the body back to the frame . Sounds easier than it is . Lots of bolt holes to line up . I took a bunch of pictures when it came apart so I'll know how to route the wires and such . Working between the rain drops I made some headway . I will try to finish tomorrow .Pictures to follow.
***********************G*****************************************************
79 Super Beetle 028.jpg 79 Super Beetle 030.jpg 79 Super Beetle 040.jpg 79 Super Beetle 037.jpg

looking good, is it all bolted up now. Although Ithink the fun starts now trying to get all the wires back in and properly working..

Fast forward a few weeks of body work and sanding and she was ready to paint.
Took it next door to a friends shop to use his paint booth.
Uncle Jack laid the paint down in three coats with time in between. Finished up at dark thirty. Left the fans on to out gas over night and came in early this AM to pull off the tape and paper.

The joy of painting in Florida is finding what ever little critter got into the paint before it dried.This morning it was a gecko. Garbed it to remove and the sucker was still alive. Let him go with his new blue racing stripe before I took a picture.
Took some pictures of the damage and you can just make out his out line in the paint. Oh well a few days for the paint to cure and we will fix that and start to reassemble the bug.
It's always something at least this time it's just a small repair. More later.
79 Super Bealtle 002.jpg
79 Super Bealtle 003.jpg
*****G*****cartangrysj1.gif**********usflagani.gif***Shaking the Bush Boss*************

Back