The gears in my head don't mesh

Demonstrating that Module and Diametral Pitch are not really all that different. In fact, the term "Diametral Pitch" more clearly explains the concept and could be applied to either system. I suggest Metric Diametral Pitch (MDP) and Imperial (or Inch) Diametral Pitch (IDP) as replacements for the existing terminology. It has only been through the course of this discussion that I have clearly understood the similarity.
OK - that looks useful. MDP and IDP.
As well as MDP meaning "Metric", the "M" in there carries with it the reminder that "that was the one using Module". They are seen as being different only by a conversion constant between Imperial and Metric.

I am not experienced enough with gears at the hands-on level, but I will be reading up on it now. The untangling of this problem has sort of bumped me into a better understanding of it all.

OK - that looks useful. MDP and IDP.
As well as MDP meaning "Metric", the "M" in there carries with it the reminder that "that was the one using Module". They are seen as being different only by a conversion constant between Imperial and Metric.

I am not experienced enough with gears at the hands-on level, but I will be reading up on it now. The untangling of this problem has sort of bumped me into a better understanding of it all.
I am glad your interest are tweaked. If you have the right tools, it is fun to make gears. I have only made about 4 gears by trial and error for my thread dial indicator and it was fun when you get it right. I still have to finish the post on that now that I think of it. I only needed help with this problem because I only had one variable. BUT Mrwhoopee and other members, I must apologise for something. I noticed today and I don't know why I didn't see it before,but the module of the gears on the lathe is actually stamped on the gears. And should have given me a clue and second variable I needed. See pic below right next to the z=50/80 there it is,M2
20200403_153919.jpg
So once again sorry for that. But l learned something along the process of making the gears mesh in my head agains.

So once again sorry for that. But l learned something along the process of making the gears mesh in my head agains.

Do not apologize! This was a very entertaining and educational little journey. If you had just told us the module, we would have missed out on a better understanding of gearing. Thank you.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I ran out of fingers and toes to count

I do have another question? When I get to cutting the gears,how would I go about cutting the smaller gear seeing that the two gears are made out of one piece of stock. I mean the cutter would not be able to follow through. And as far as I can teel these are not two pieces pressed into eachother.
20200406_100808.jpg
20200406_100759.jpg

Milling, broaching, planing, hobbing. Sometimes the bulk is removed with one process, and the profile finished by another. I agree that one looks awkward.

Suzuki that's funny. I figured out how to figure out, and then figured out the module and pa for my gears. Then I took off the one gear I had not and it had the module stamped on the back side of it. So you are not alone at all. As to module and DP, it is accepted that module is called out in mm. It can be called out in inches, but it is then referred to as English module. Such is the system in place. You would probably have as much luck changing that as you would have convincing the whole world to adopt metric and throw away imperial. If I didn't enjoy riddles so much I would wash my hands of this machining business. It seems my time spent on homework way outweighs time spent actually making chips.

With the capabilities you have available to you, the gears will have to be made separately and then joined together. You could cut the smaller gear before assembly, then cut the larger gear after to assure concentricity. If you don't plan to try to harden the teeth, I would try to get some pre-heat treated 4140/42CrMo4 .

Suzuki that's funny. I figured out how to figure out, and then figured out the module and pa for my gears. Then I took off the one gear I had not and it had the module stamped on the back side of it. So you are not alone at all. As to module and DP, it is accepted that module is called out in mm. It can be called out in inches, but it is then referred to as English module. Such is the system in place. You would probably have as much luck changing that as you would have convincing the whole world to adopt metric and throw away imperial. If I didn't enjoy riddles so much I would wash my hands of this machining business. It seems my time spent on homework way outweighs time spent actually making chips.
For me metric is way simpler than imperial though I work with both, but in my Valley we mostly work with imperial.

Back