The Giant Binocular

A thin smear on hot buttered toast is awesome for brekky. Although I do spread it on pretty thick.
It doesnt go well on that sweet stuff most Americans call bread though :barbershop:

Us Aussies were bought up on Vegemite, and yes the reference to kids as "happy little vegemites" is very true. We all loved it so much that there are now a couple of alternative brands on the market, and we love arguing as to which one is the best. Personally my favorite is AussieMite.

I remember, many times, when travelling in the USA, especially back when the song "A land down under" was better known. I'd often produce a jar of said vegemite when seated in a diner, and the waitresses would ask if it was the same as in the song. I would reply, "yes, get yourself a slice of toast and you can try some". By the way, it is available in the US in a few specialty shops.

Curiosity got the better of most of them, and after producing some toast I would spread a thin smear for them, they always took it back out to the kitchen to try it. Suddenly, loud laughs and lots of giggles could be heard, but when they came back out they admitted that they didn't like it. It's not sweet enough for most american tastes. Although I have met a small few who have got to like it. It's great on toast under eggs.

Vegemite I know of but don’t think have ever partaken of. Quiche I love, but what in the ...
is or are ramps? You down underners are a strange lot. Good strange, but still strange. Here on the upper part of this sphere we live on we just aren’t nearly as strange, at least that’s what my daddy told me.

Ah ha! Ramps is a type of wild onion/garlic endemic to the USA.
We aint not got any downunder.
I went picking up the the mountains of west virginia and used them in the quiche.
The posh locals wont touch them saying they make your breath smell.
They dont and they taste wonderful.

Its time to re-visit the binocular.
This is roughly what I want.
View attachment 226007
I started these over 5 years ago but got side tracked building recumbent bicycles.
Now I've almost finished the refractor I've started back on these.
This is being built entirely from scratch including grinding and polishing the two 12" mirrors.
I will purchase the secondary and tertiary mirrors but that should be about it.
I got as far as building the mirror grinding machine,
View attachment 226012View attachment 226013

the pendulum grinder, this bolts to the grinding machine and hogs out the mirrors to the required radius of curvature. The motor drives a diamond disk to grind the glass and a standard grinding disk for steel for some of the tools.
View attachment 226014

the jigs for the hexagons
View attachment 226008

and a jig for the vertical struts.
View attachment 226011
I will show how these work as we go along.

I managed to make a start on the four trusses and one top cage before I put it away so thats where this project re starts.

View attachment 226010
The top cage was rusty so with a generous application of a wire cup brush on an angle grinder (do not do this at home kiddies) I removed all the rust and gave a quick spray of primer.
By the time I finished the cup brush was shedding wires and a large number of them embedded themselves in my wrist and arm.:bawling:
I had purchased all the square tube and as its just been sitting there it also rusted so I cut all the bits for the second top cage and started the derusting process on them.

View attachment 226009

You will notice there is one diagonal brace in the bottom truss, now I need to add 35 more and de rust them.
I'm thinking some plastic drain pipe with an end cap as a long holder for the derust and all the sections.

The two top cages will rotate using the large lazy susan bearings.
In the mean time I went through the older mig welder and checked it out, gas wont turn off when the trigger is released so I have to fix that but otherwise its all good.
There is a lot to do so this will not be a fast project and I expect other things will pop up to prevent me from working on it but the fingers are well and truly crossed.

A very ambitious project Charles,I doubt I'd have the patience to stay with it. You must have workshop the size of a warehouse.

Vegemite I know of but don’t think have ever partaken of.
The band, Men at Work had Vegemite in one of their songs. It tastes like crap! The only way to acquire a taste is to start as a new baby....otherwise forget it!

A very ambitious project Charles,I doubt I'd have the patience to stay with it. You must have workshop the size of a warehouse.
I am starting to fade with the sandblasting taking so long. I think I will have to swallow my pride and seek professional help.
I think the enthusiasm will re start once all the powder coating is finished and I can start on the mirrors.
The workshop is around 6x15 meters, open at both ends with bench tops running full length down both sides.
If I was tidier there would be no shortage of space, unfortunately I am a very untidy worker so such is not the case.
I've done nothing for the last two weeks really as my son and his partner came up from Melbourne for 4 days then my wifes brother came up from Sydney along with her two nieces from the Philippines so I have been too busy taking everyone around sight seeing.
Hopefully peace shall reigneth soon and work can re-start.

Back