The Giant Binocular

spherometer to start for a rough idea then onto ronchi and foucault.
message 44 for a pic

Thanks Jeff, I dont know about talented, stupid seems to fit the bill. I seriously do wonder if I will ever get to look through it.

This is such a complex and intimating project. It requires a serious depth of talent in multiple disciplines. Charles is remarkable for getting this far. If he succeeds, I may go out and buy one!

Thanks Jeff, I dont know about talented, stupid seems to fit the bill. I seriously do wonder if I will ever get to look through it.
I think you only have to live long enough, and you'll get there. Keep at it old mate.

I have two spherometers, a large imperial one and a small metric one.
but do you think I can find them, I have looked everywhere (except where they are) and cant find them, my wife has said she has seen them but cant remember where so I had to make another in the hope that would make them magically appear. No such luck.
sphero2.jpg
sphero1.jpg
the dial is set at zerp on a dead flat surface. the three pointy feet sit on the mirror, the reading is the depth of the curve thats ground in.
But, the distance between each foot is recorded, the distance between each foot and the centre is recorded, then the application of some maths gets a pretty accurate measurement for the depth of curve (sagitta) once that is known some more math will give the focal length of the mirror.
If you take readings from different parts of the surface hopefull they all read the same thus showing a ---- I hesitate to use the word perfect but pretty close surface.

Back