The GISHOLT #5 is alive

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
An exciting weekend!
My electrician friend completed 3 phase new-used rotary installation to my new-used 400amp 3 phase panel ($139 with all the breakers!).
The GISHOLT #5 that has been lurking in my shop since October lives (with an 18.5 inch swing it's more like the elephant in the corner).
I learned the sequence for manipulating the headstock controls Saturday.
Tonight I learned to manipulate the automatic controls for the crossfeed and ram turret.
No smoke, no flames, no horrific ugly grinding sounds from deep in the bowels of the machine.
39 rotations per minute and 730 per minute, a 10hp 3ph seems to have alot of torque.
Have yet to actually turn anything.
I'll likely wait until she is a little closer to level (she is level on a carpenters level, next up: a Starret 98), and I need to figure out a coolant pump.
Regardless, this was a big weekend!

Last edited:
Do we have a picture of this alleged Gisholt #5, by any chance? This could be a figment on an over active imagination on someone's part. Don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see. Really tho, we sure would like some pictures. Having never heard of a Gisholt, I'm thinking it might be a shaper.

Patrick

"figment on an over active imagination on someone's part"

Glad you asked...
Gisholt turret lathes had a reputation for massive design and construction, large capacity, and general and special features.
Read more: http://chestofbooks.com/home-improv...Turret-Lathes.html#.USIMaWfImeY#ixzz2LFSIdW98

Gisholts were first made by Giddings and Lewis in Wisconsin beginning in 1910. Immediately after World War I, they expanded their line of boring mills and horizontal lathes to include floor and table type machines with 2-inch to five-inch spindle diameters. By the end of the 1920s, Giddings & Lewis was the envy of many struggling machine tool companies. Brand new, state-of-the-art machine tools and shop equipment had been installed along with a redesign and expansion of the company's full line of horizontal boring, drilling, and milling machines to include machines with 2-inch to eight-inch spindle diameters, and floor, table, multiple, and planer head types that ranged from approximately 10,000 to 275,000 pounds. They made lathes until the early 1970s.
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/giddings-lewis-inc-history/

My Gisholt is a #5 Ram Turret Lathe is only a baby. She has a meager 2.75inch through spindle and a 18.5inch swing. The serial number has been tracked to 1936. It's known history traces it to a welding shop in Rogers MN. It's been stored for the last 15+ years.
IMG_0613[1].JPGIMG_0612[1].JPGIMG_0624[1].JPGIMG_0635[1].JPG

My eldest daughter is allowed to park her Toyota Camry in the heated shop as long she brushes all the snow off and busts loose any ice in the wheel wells prior to entry. Please note that the Gisholt is as large as her car. The rigger (I traded some welding for his efforts) that delivered her estimated 5,000 pounds. Which matches up with the manual. Note the (original?) 3ph motor, she required the installation of a rotary converter. The converter and 400amp panel is shown with my electrician (I traded some turning for his efforts).

I've got alot of tuning left to do. Then comes shop time learning how to make shavings (drat- more shop time!).

Please advise if I should have posted this under a different header/topic.

IMG_0613[1].JPG IMG_0612[1].JPG IMG_0624[1].JPG IMG_0635[1].JPG

Last edited:
Nice score Uglydog, I'm glad you got the small one tho. I saw a turret lathe at an auction last year and passed on it cause I don't have room for it. It seems this program loves to turn pictures ccw at random. I looked at the attachments on your post as I was typing this reply and the pictures are all oriented correctly so it must be the forum program messing with our minds. LOL Ok, maybe not a figment of an overactive imagination.

Patrick

Had the day off (I'm on shift 12hours Friday and 16hours Sunday).
So I spent the day in the garage hoping to align the Gisholt.
The first cut was off by about 0.15inches, that was after leveling.
After about 10hours I got a 10.5inch Test Bar to 0.002.
While very satisfied, I didn't believe it. So I checked for repeatability and got 0.001.
Time to stop!

Would have been helpful If I really knew what I was doing.
Thanks to all of you for various threads pertaining to Test Bars and accuracy.

Was a good day!

Your shop is off to a great start. I bet that lathe can make some big blue chips.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

How'd you move the darn thing? -That's what I want to know.

Ray

How'd you move the darn thing? -That's what I want to know.

Ray

Sorry no pics.

The auto mechanic (Jim) that we've used for the past 20 years was purchasing a stored El Camino from the local 80 year old welder/machinist (Art), but is to healthy to give up. Thus, like most tool guys, he is reluctant to part with his tool collection. Jim noticed the Gisholt languishing in a corner under a 15+ year accumulation of hundreds of feet of rotting OA hose. Yes, hundreds of feet! The initial meeting/inspection was really an interview. An attempt to determine that I was worthy of his tools. It helped that Jim vouched for me, and that I was a local Volunteer Fire Fighter, he finally believed that it was my intent to make it operable and not sell off the huge 4jaw and 3jaw, and scrap the 300pound 3phase motor for copper and the 5,000pound bed and head stock for salvage. I owned her for $500 cash. Now that she is dialed in, I need to invite Jim and Art over to celebrate their achievement.

My puzzle was moving her. As I stood looking at her sheer beauty and massive headstock I was dismayed at the prospect. Jim, merely winked and said he'd do it if I did some welding on the flat bed of his truck. The next weekend. He spent 4 hours loading and unloading the baby Gisholt. She was stored in an unlit 60ish year old abandoned 4 stall bus garage. Jim was able to wedge his flat bed inside the garage and tilt the flat bed to meet the ancient concrete. Using jimmy bars we got the Gisholt over the lip. The groaning winch did the rest of the work.

Once on the road, based on how his truck was handling, Jim estimated she weighed in around #5000, which lines up with the Gisholt literature.

Getting her off was more problematic. Gravity worked well until we got her to the end of the bed. Ended up jacking her up with my 20ton hydraulic jack inserting some pipes and coaxing her to roll. Controlling her roll to level was more challenging as she didn't steer very well. Regardless, no lost finger, toes or damage to the Gisholt or other tools. Getting her in place was a tedious pleasure. Jack her up place the pipes move 2 inches. Jack her up move the pipes, 2 inches, change the angle, 2 inches. Etc.

I've learned alot. Fall 2013 I will be signing up for some machinist courses. The first semester is 16 weeks of learning to use a hacksaw and file. I've been warned it's old school and the Instructors get alot of grumbling from the kids who want to start with CNC. I am excited.

I will attempt to better document the Cincinnati 1b Vertical Mill that Benny is helping me to load in Tennessee on Tuesday March 12th. It's unloading and consequent rehabilitation.

it sounds like that monster has found a nice place to live
keep us posted what a great find
steve

Hey UD,

I found a old book about machine serial numbers, dates and prices. I see a #5 with a 2 1/2" bar capacity sold for $10, 495.00 and weighted 5400 pounds. a # 5 with a 4 1/2" bar cap sold for $12,420.00
Both had a 19 3/4 swing and 10 hp motor. The book says the last serial number issued on or prior to december 31 1935 were 825 the skips to 1947 and it was s/n 891. It shows other models and accessories weights and prices. The book shows many brands too. :) Amazing what you find on a snowy day in MN.

Back