The Great Escape has Begun

fabulous, that'd be my dream of a shop and probably a location to live too!

Looking good man.
Stay healthy and enjoy the ride.
I'm really looking forward to having some time in my life for the things I enjoy.

Congrats! Hopefully in 7yrs I should be posting something similar leaving this gawd awful over crowded expensive as heck place filled with arrogant asshats. Now to convince the better half that moving out of CA doesn't mean we're severing ties with the kids. They'll be starting their own careers and adult lives for themselves.

Congrats! Hopefully in 7yrs I should be posting something similar leaving this gawd awful over crowded expensive as heck place filled with arrogant asshats. Now to convince the better half that moving out of CA doesn't mean we're severing ties with the kids. They'll be starting their own careers and adult lives for themselves.
I hear you on that. I am so ready to get out of this state.

Keep working on the spouse. A year and a half ago I would have never thought I could get my wife to move. Now she is just as eager to get out of here as I am. Funny how things can change.

With the shop ready to occupy we started bringing stuff up on our regular trips there. Since we are moving over time I purchased a 7' x 14' cargo trailer. I had gotten some quotes on moving all at once and they came in around 15K to move the household and my equipment. As we are making 3-4 trips up a year it was a no brainier to spend 6K on a trailer. A round trip withe the trailer only costs me an extra $100 in fuel.

I got the lights in the shop installed and to my good fortune our company was dumping five medium duty shelving units and two 3' x 6' storage cabinets so those found their way to me.

On our last trip I moved my mill and some shop items. I set the trailer up with an in-floor mounted winch and picked up some ramps. I made of some brackets to fit on the end of a wood 4x4 that has an axle for a flat free wheelbarrow tire. The 4x4's are bolted to the bottom of the machine and then the machine is winched into the trailer. Once in the trailer the wheels are removed so the 4x4 sits on the floor. The 4x4 provided lateral stability. I also added some tabs to the brackets to screw to the trailer floor.

I'm terrible at remembering to take pictures and failed to take any of moving the mill but we just loaded my lathe the other day and I took a couple after it was loaded. Works pretty slick though the tires at the head stock end were marginal for the weight of the lathe.

20200326_131646.jpg
20200326_132817.jpg

Awesome! that looks like a largish enclosed trailer. What are you pulling it with? Any big climbs on the way like the grapevine down south?

We have a 07 GMC 2500 HD crew cab, 6.0. The only real climb is over the Siskiyou's near the border. Not too bad in good weather. I do miss my old deisel.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jbolt very nicely done! nice welds too!

MOVING SUCKS! Sorry, had to be said....:grin:

I am so glad we are doing this over time. I can't imagine trying to do this in a short period of time. Taking the last load of my shop up next week. :cry: Also half my home office.

I had hoped to have the shop moved in four trips. This will be number six. It is nothing short of astonishing how much stuff there is once it is all pulled out in the open and boxed up. My shop was so packed I had to pull stuff out into the driveway to sort and box. One Saturday morning of sorting and packing I had a couple show up and start browsing thinking it was a yard sale. :oops:

Another issue was everything in the shop is HEAVY! One load was mostly metal stock that put my trailer near max weight so volume wise it felt wrong. Wife and I managed to move the lathe and two mills ourselves. Loading and unloading went really well using the bolt on wheels and winch. At least all the heavy lifting is done so when we start moving household item it will be a breeze.

The silver lining to the Covid is my office officially closed and I'm now working from home full time which gives me 3-4 extra hours a day I would normally be commuting. :eagerness:

13 months and counting..........

Jbolt,
I'm really excited for you. The shop has a good start.
I just reread my post back in September of 2018. In November 2018 we lost our home and all our stuff.
Take the fire side of things very seriously. Just know, when a fire is out of control and the authorities are overwhelmed, you are on your own.
Trust me.
I hope you have a long and happy retirement.

Back