The Homeless Shaper (G&E 20-24" Industrial Universal)

G-ManBart

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Part 1:

It all started with a text from a friend on a Tuesday afternoon: "There's a 24" G&E shaper in Fraser (40 miles away) on FB Marketplace for $500. Has a nice table and vise on it too". This from a friend who knows I have the space to take in a shaper, even though I have a lot of other projects lined up. Still, I pull up the listing, look at the pics and read the description. Yep, another homeless shaper, living under a tarp behind a building in an industrial area in the greater Detroit area. The tarp was developing holes, and the pallet for a bed was crumbling. Even the rope holding the tarp down against the wind and rain was frayed and starting to fail. So many of these cases are hopeless, with missing parts, terminal rust and hardware laying loose around them, but someone in the past had given this shaper a thick coat of Cosmoline on the bare metal and the many coats of paint had kept the worst at bay. Maybe, just maybe, there was a solid machine hidden under the flaking layers of paint, dried preservative, grit, dirt and grime.

I've wanted a shaper for a while, but wasn't in a hurry to add another major project to my long list of projects so I decided to sleep on it, and was somewhat hoping someone else would jump on it. Then I decided to sleep on it again. A couple of days passed and it was still there, then it showed up in one of the machinery buy/sell groups on FB. I saved the listing pictures, watched more than a couple of YouTube videos on shapers (some I'd already watched), looked at online manuals and probably had a couple of dreams about shapers those couple of nights. Still, I held off sending the seller a note.

At one point I was texting back and forth with the friend who sent the listing and one of us said something like "it's like buying a big vise with a shaper attached to it" and suddenly something clicked. Other than the trouble of getting it, I could scrap the machine, sell the vise and probably double my money at current prices so there was no way to lose. On the flip side, if it could be saved I'd have a shaper and not have to go terribly far to get it. At that point I sent the seller a note. We agreed I'd take a look at it over the weekend, and waited for Sunday since it was raining pretty much all day on Saturday. I didn't want to deal with loading/hauling in rain and they say to never buy a used car in the rain, so that's probably good advice for shapers as well.

I got to where the machine was on Sunday and it turns out I'd met the seller at an auction pickup a few months prior. I was picking up a Clausing 8520 and he was picking up a Seneca Falls lathe. We actually helped each other a bit while loading because the location was cramped. I said the shaper was behind an industrial building, and wow, there was a bunch of stuff back there with it! A large (probably over 10ft bed length) lathe and a Monarch 10EE were under tarps right next to the shaper, there was other stuff under tarps I couldn't identify, and all of it was backed up to a 1940s crane that gets used to move all this stuff! The crazy thing is the shop is owned by the seller's buddy and inside he had so much stuff you could barely move. I counted three lathes, four shapers, a planer, welders, horizontal mills, vertical mills, a couple of small tractors, mini forklifts, a Blanchard grinder and stuff on pallet racking to the ceiling...a fortune in cast iron for sure. Back to the shaper...

The shaper is a Gould & Eberhard 20-24" Industrial Universal model, serial number 2110A6, which puts it at the very beginning of 1940. Over on PM one of the posters said that serial number 2104A was the last one for 1939. I'm hoping that a break for the holidays had the G&E employees well rested and doing their best work on my shaper! The seller claimed he saw the machine run before he bought it and then ran out of shop room, so it never got moved indoors. It's missing the crank handles and the vise handle, but appears otherwise complete with no damage that's obvious. He had cleaned off a bit of the preservative to show the ways still had flaking showing. At that point I handed him some money, his buddy fired up the crane, we backed my trailer under it, set it down and I put straps on it to/from all four corners. As I was doing this the buddy who originally sent me the text showed up to take a look and got the inside shop tour as well.

I headed home, driving carefully and hoping I didn't have a 5,000lb boat anchor in the trailer behind me! I managed to get home and decided to leave the shaper in the trailer to save time and help catch the debris during the initial cleaning. I backed the trailer into my shop, unhooked my truck and breathed a huge sigh of relief! The first pics are the ones from the FB listing, and the last two are on the way home when I stopped for fuel. I had taken the motor pulley cover off because it only had one bolt holding it and it would have been flapping in the breeze on the highway.

To be continued...

379972447_6850349571719933_7309301069062206934_n.jpg
377826629_7090482910971292_2503456797857884198_n.jpg
380700355_6932931416767407_460235337423555952_n.jpg
380435763_6843178429079753_2651589390524684036_n.jpg
386398070_23953720490938701_1243395631223761027_n.jpg
376356121_24478294971768995_4431374783608250403_n.jpg
386390858_6202956536476647_2655564891717163385_n.jpg
380515103_6494863670626049_7729529666155079032_n.jpg
380521572_6588571761220413_307961517095449772_n.jpg
377826629_7054600867937275_4803448175022818264_n.jpg
IMG_4694.JPG
IMG_4695.JPG

Part 2:

It was getting late on Sunday afternoon, but I couldn't help but take stock of what I brought home. Mostly I was thinking that before I spent more time and money on it I wanted to know if it even ran. I sprayed everything that should move with penetrating fluid and roughly wiped off enough grease and paint chips to get the oil where it needed to go. I pretty much walked around the machine with a wooden block tapping on things and spraying with penetrating oil until all the handles and levers moved freely. I gave the whole machine a once-over with the shop vac and then sprayed even more penetrating fluid on it.

I pulled the side cover and the sump was overly full and looked like a milkshake. I expected water had gotten inside because some ran out from under the ram when we loaded it, and this confirmed that. There was light surface rust on the gears and various other spots inside, but not nearly to the point of pitting, so I think it was caught in time. The nasty sump had me wondering what to do. I decided to see if I could get the machine to run because if it did, it was getting a thorough sump cleaning, a flush from top to bottom and then new oil, so it was worth the risk of pumping nasty stuff briefly. On the flip side, if it didn't run, it didn't really matter.

At that point I tried to rotate the motor/drive pulleys and could barely get them to budge. I rocked back and forth on the pulleys and finally got a little movement, pumped some grease in the motor bearings, got a little more movement, pumped some more grease and then it would turn...I did a couple rounds of turning, pumping a couple of shots of grease in, then turning some more until it was turning pretty freely.

I took an oiler and sprayed machine oil on all the moving parts on the inside and the ram ways....if it moves, it got oil and plenty of it.

While everything was soaking I sorted out the electrical side of things. I swapped the power plug to match the extension cord I use in the cold storage side of my barn, fired up the RPC, hit the start button and thought the shaper motor was dead. Ten minutes with a multi-meter had me shaking my head until I noticed that the extension cord wasn't plugged in to the outlet...opps!

With the extension cord plugged in, I hit the power button and the motor powered up. The lube pump was clearly moving a lot of liquid (wouldn't call it oil at that point) and I could see flow on a couple of the sight glasses, but not all and there was no flow on the table sight glass spot (sight glass is missing entirely). I noticed a pin hole spraying sideways on the line that goes to the right rear way oiler, so no flow there.

I bumped the clutch and the ram moved! I had it set for the slowest speed and a fairly short stroke, so I engaged the clutch, let it cycle and walked around with the oiler to add more oil to everything as it ran. That went well so I tested all the speeds to make sure they all worked...I'll say that I only let it move a bit on the higher two speeds as it was rocking the trailer!

Next I put it on a slow speed and tried the table feed...didn't check every single feed rate, but tried maybe a third and they all worked. I also checked that the rapid transit worked. I was pretty happy at that point...all the speeds and feeds seem to work and the pump moves oil. That was enough for me to justify putting more time and money into it since I don't see any fatal flaws.

I was so excited I had to take a quick video.

To be continued...

Part Three:

At this point I was pretty confident that the machine could be saved, so it was time to put a little thought into the next steps.

My plan of attack was to pump out the sump and remove the rust, grit, chips etc before going any farther. Step two was to knock off the loose/chipped paint, and generally degrease the outside so I could better see what I'm working with, and not get chips and crap inside the machine as I work on it.

I used a transfer pump to suck out most of the fluid in the sump and then started spraying kerosene from the top of the machine on down while alternating scrubbing with a bronze brush, rinse and repeat. I was trying to wash all the loose junk down to the sump. I actually sprayed, scrubbed, sprayed and let it sit overnight twice. That removed probably 90% of the surface rust on the inside as well and everything inside was looking so much better it's hard to describe. I sprayed everything with kerosene again and put the side cover back on. I figured I'd let the kerosene sit in the sump for a day or two to loosen up whatever was down there while I spent some time on the outside.

I then spent three or four hours chipping and scrapping the loose paint off the outside of the machine. I had a scrapper in one hand and the nozzle from my shop vac in the other and just tapped and scrapped everything painted. The good thing is the paint was so bad in so many places it came off pretty easily. There is still a lot more of this left to do, but I got the really loose stuff off so I can work on the machine without paint chunks flying around and getting where they shouldn't. Ultimately, I think this will be a job for the needle scaler and then fresh paint.

A day later I went back to the inside. The sump was pretty full so I used the transfer pump to remove as much of the kerosene as possible, then spent a couple of hours scooping out the mud and chips from the bottom of the sump by hand and using a putty knife along with a thin metal rod to reach all the way to the back and drag stuff forward. I actually lowered the front of the trailer so everything would run to the front of the sump. I sopped up what was left with shop rags and let it dry overnight.

That evening I came back to the house filthy, stinking like kerosene and 83 year old sump mud and my wife just laughed...she's such a gem! Clothes went right into the washer and I went right to the shower.

The next day I did a bit more wiping down the sump as far as I could reach, then used the shop vac as well and it was looking pretty darned good. I'm sure I didn't get everything, but my thought was anything that can move will migrate to the bottom of the sump where it won't cause a problem and I'm planning to replace the initial oil after just a few hours of run time anyway.

I decided to save a few bucks and use an inexpensive, lighter weight hydraulic oil for the initial fill for two reasons. One, it's not going to be used long, and two I'm hoping it will help flush the lines out. I know at least a couple of the lines have holes or blockages, so I might as well use the cheap oil for sorting through all of that. Once I have proper flow everywhere and I'm not worried about contaminating the oil (like while continuing to clean the outside) I'll drain the lighter oil and fill with the proper ISO 100 oil.

I'm hoping this was the worst part of the project. It's been pretty nasty work, but still fun in a weird way. These pics are after I finished the sump, removed a lot of the loose paint from the exterior and did the first couple of passes cleaning the inside/gears. It's slow going, but I think it'll eventually clean up pretty well.

To be continued...
IMG_4735.JPG
IMG_4736.JPG
IMG_4737.JPG
IMG_4738.JPG
IMG_4739.JPG

Last edited:
Part 4:

I filled the sump with the inexpensive oil and let it settle for half a day while I continued to work my way around the machine removing dirt, paint, dried oil, etc. It's hard to even see the progress, but I filled up my shop vac bag to the point it started to tear when I swapped bags! I've lost track of the hours...after dinner each night I've been spending 2-3 hours cleaning.

In a previous post I forgot to mention that I made a temporary repair to the oil line with a pinhole using epoxy putt that's resistant to oils and chemicals...good enough for getting things rolling, but I did buy new copper tubing to make a proper replacement. I pulled the felt packing in the sight glasses, cleaned it as best I could (ordering new stuff) and put partial packing back in each oil...I'd rather have them loose and wasting oil rather than not flowing enough at this point.

After the oil had a chance to settle for five or six hours I ran the machine for a while and decided to bump the stroke up to around 18", mostly for fun. Anything more than the lowest speed and it really wants to rock the trailer, so I kept it slow. I noticed that the oil flow was getting weak and seemed to be sucking/pushing air (bubbles), so I shut it down. I did a quick process of elimination by disconnecting the main line coming out of the pump and the flow started strong, then quickly got weak. I disconnected the filter/strainer line that goes to the pump and hooked up a rubber hose from the pump down into the sump. The flow went back to being really solid coming out of the pump. I reconnected the line out of the pump that feeds all the other lines, fired up the motor and oil was flowing everywhere I could see....really moving a lot of fluid, and it pulled the level of the sump down several inches, so I think the pump is fine. I'll have to finish pulling the filter/strainer and see, but I expect it's just packed with mud. After that I'm going to continue working on the lines and fix the two that need to be replaced.

A quick video showing off the longer stroke with slightly fewer paint chips!

To be continued...

I have one very much like it, only thing is mine is from 1956, and has a combination electric clutch/brake, which is actually more sensitive than the mechanical one. I can't tell from your pics if yours has power up/down feed on the saddle, mine does, from a control lever directly under the cross feed control. I do have an original manual, and Oh! Mine has hard chromed ram ways. The designation 20 24 means it has a 24" stroke on a 20" frame, which results in a lighter machine than the 24" industrial universal. I got mine about 25 years ago from a dealer that got it from government storage, in near perfect condition.

I have one very much like it, only thing is mine is from 1956, and has a combination electric clutch/brake, which is actually more sensitive than the mechanical one. I can't tell from your pics if yours has power up/down feed on the saddle, mine does, from a control lever directly under the cross feed control. I do have an original manual, and Oh! Mine has hard chromed ram ways. The designation 20 24 means it has a 24" stroke on a 20" frame, which results in a lighter machine than the 24" industrial universal. I got mine about 25 years ago from a dealer that got it from government storage, in near perfect condition.
I've seen you mentions yours in the past and it sounds like a heck of a nice machine. Mine sadly does not have power up/down on the table...I think that would be really handy.

Still, I can't complain at the price point and the fact it wasn't far away. I figure the good thing is I'm going to be really familiar with the machine by the time I have it ready to work and if I see another one for sale with power down, the better drive system with more speeds, etc I'll be able to evaluate it far better. My wife might think I'm even more nuts if I bring home another shaper :grin:

The best thing about power up and down is that it includes rapid travel. They had a 24" Ind. Univ. at work, also no power feed on the saddle, they kept an air motor nearby for rapid ---

Looks like a nice shaper.

I picked up a 16” shaper earlier this year. Came from the estate of an old family friend, that I used to watch make chips at his work when I was about 10 years old with my dad.

Today, I am actually doing his last work job as a machinist in a hydraulic repair shop. I like to say I acquired my mentors tools from his home shop for my home shop.

I’ve been purging my pole barn trying to make room for the shaper and my K&T 4H Mill. I really want to get them inside. Not sure I’ll beat Northern Mich. winter though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back