[4]

The Hunley, or pidjones needed a first retirement project

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

jonesn7

Registered
I'll start this thread now and fill in over time. In 2013 I bought a Honda GoldWing GL1000. The PO thought it was a '78, but it turned out to be a '78 frame with a '75 engine. Since that could not be restored, I decided to customize it into a cafe style. I worked at it for about a year, then life got in the way until I retired (officially laid off with 6 month's severance pay) at the end of September 2017. After cleaning the garage up enough to get room to work on it, I restarted the project. It is now rideable (well, right now the wheels are off for new tires) with only improvements to go. I have shown it twice and look forward to showing it many times next year. At Moonshine Run.jpg

Groundhog

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Probably don't see to many bikes you could get that confused with do you? It looks like the customization is very nicely done. I like it.

woodtickgreg

Active User
That's a great looking GL. Very nicely done. I bet it sounds good with those short pipes too!

jonesn7

Registered
That's a great looking GL. Very nicely done. I bet it sounds good with those short pipes too!
Actually a bit too loud. I've tried repacking and adding some washers spaced about 1.5" after the baffle. It has already blown those out (they were each mounted by three stand offs pop-riveted to the baffle exit. I just repacked them for the third time tonight. Probably need to find soething more substatial than pipe wrap fiberglass. Thinking maybe fiberglass cloth.

jonesn7

Registered
BTW, thanks for the complements. Here it was at a show this weekend. One of the pinup contestants (turned out to be the winner) used it as a prop for photos.

woodtickgreg

Active User
If I am seeing this right that's an older gl with newer honda wheels? I thought all the older gls had spoke wheels, I like the wheels you have on it, great look. Very cool to see the gl as it started out, minimal.

jonesn7

Registered
If I am seeing this right that's an older gl with newer honda wheels? I thought all the older gls had spoke wheels, I like the wheels you have on it, great look. Very cool to see the gl as it started out, minimal.
1975-1977 had spokes. 1978 (this is a '78 frame with '75 engine) was the first year for the riveted "Comstars". I painted these black.

jonesn7

Registered
Having all but finished on the Hunley, another project was needed fo winter '18-'19, so.....
A 1979 CB750F SuperSport showed up on Craigslist nearby. At first I though restoration project until I noticed incorrect forks and ~1/4" of peeling Bondo. So, it became a rat rod project. Plan is to restore performance, braking, and handling while only improving appearance as a result of performance upgrades. A previous owner really hacked it, though and I am having trouble even identifying the front forks. They are not original, are leading axle, and incorrect caliper mount holes that someone made weled steel adapters for, but did not paint them. The bike was last registered in 1999, and I suspect has been setting outside since then. Should keep me occupied this winter!

woodtickgreg

Active User
I saw this one at a vintage motorcycle show last weekend. I know these are 1100's but very similar and cool.

20180916_112206.jpg 20180916_112230.jpg

Janderso

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I had a 1979 CB750, sold it and bought a Yamaha 1100 XS Special. Fast but I’ll handling.
Brings back memories
You have quite a project ahead of you! I think Honda has most parts available, expensive though.
Thanks for posting.

jonesn7

Registered
Finally IDed the forks as from an ~'82 KZ750H. 36mm in 35mm triples - stretched to accept instead of bored. Many PO-induced problems, sorting through one at a time. I know they can be nice looking bikes, but this one will stay ratty with just cleaning for safety/handling/performance. The Kaw forks are leading axle, which may or may not improve handling. They had even added a steering damper, but I think it was to control a wobble they induced by leaving in notchy head bearings.

jonesn7

Registered
Well, the Kaw forks are out. They gave me a trail of around 2". No wonder they added a stabilizer! So, to the rescue with a set of GL1000 forks that were left from my last project. Pitted in the clamp area but clean in the sealing area. Ordered triples from ebay. Had to turn a cap for one because the original has disappeared. They are cleaned and assembled with new seals, waiting for new dust seals for filling and installation.

The carbs are now broken down individually and #1 is fully cleaned, new o-rings installed, and reassembled. The floats on all of them were way off - probably trying to fix leaky float valves - I'm relapping the seats with jewelers rouge. They were all missing a very small washer from under the pilot screw springs. Bought some 3mm from Ace, but their OD was to big so I used a screw and nut for a mandrel, chucked them in the minilathe, and turned them down. Seems I'm using the lathe or mill daily on this project.

The tank is flopping around all over with about 1.5 gallons of Evapo-rust in it. I think it will be fine, as this is all that my paint filter caught after draining a gallon of acetone that had been left in it for a couple weeks to get the varnish out.

jonesn7

Registered
A little over a week ago we went to Birmingham for Barber Vintage Festival. So many bikes! Parked at our hotel I found this:

Same year! Mine was silver from the layers I've looked through on it. Every bike lover needs to take in the Barber museum and Vintage Fest (just under 80k in attendance!)

[6]
[5] [7]