The joy of tapping

I have a Procunier 2E, works great. Remember that each size tap takes a different collet, and they can go for $20 apiece or so if you’re not a careful shopper. But you can make these collets with a lathe and mill relatively easily...there are no tapers, just an internal square hole to figure out. A small file was pretty easy, then I made a rotary broach, now it’s fast and simple to make the right square broach tip.

Last edited:
I forget what series I bought from Dave, and what collet it has.....

Hahaha! I have doubted you oh great one :p

I forget what series I bought from Dave, and what collet it has.....

Hahaha! I have doubted you oh great one :p
I think you got an Enco 5500 Mike . I also sold 2 Procuniers on here a while back . I know I have another 5500 down the basement .

You have excess space in your box Dave . :grin:

I think you got an Enco 5500 Mike . I also sold 2 Procuniers on here a while back . I know I have another 5500 down the basement .

You have excess space in your box Dave . :grin:
Shoot me some pics :D

I'm sure there are already pics somewhere below . Maybe the junk in the trunk thread , or the More junk in the trunk thread ? ( I have a very large trunk BTW . ) :big grin:

I've got a Tapmatic 30 TC/DC. The capacity is on the small side but I got it for about $200 in excellent condition. I had a job where I needed to tap 1100+ 6-32 blind holes. The TC/DC model is designed for blind holes too. It saved my butt. Timing was perfect on the purchase & the job more than paid for it.

I'd like to get a RX50 someday but it's not high on my wish list. I barely even use the one I have now anymore. I'll just power tap if I have more than a few holes to tap. If I ever come across a project where I need to tap an exhausting amount of holes again that my 30 can't do then I look for a 50.

Uh oh .......................here we GO ! :grin:

Back